Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here has PERSONALLY rebuilt a 700R?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 27, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Who here has personally rebuilt one? I want to try it because I really can't affored to have someone else do it. Or is there some one in Denver/Fort Collins area willing to do it with me for a couple cases of beer [​IMG][​IMG]? For those of you who have done it, if I bought that video that walks you through it step-by-step, and bought a Haynes manual, could I do it (I don't have all that much experience w/ wrenching in general let alone trannies BUT I WANNA LEARN [​IMG]) Thanks gang

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hehe, going to answer anyways. I rebuilt my 200-4R (similar, 4 spd rear wheel drive GM overdrive, some identical fluid circuits) and had both the ATSG manual and a video. I could have done it without the ATSG manual to be honest. At worst, buy the video, and see if you feel like tackling it. thensell the video if you don't! : ) Also, Petersens has a small blurb on building the 700 yourself in either this or last months magazine.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. fortcollinsram

Ya, I got the idea from Peterson's..I'll get the video and give 'er a peek and if I think I can handle I will do it. I'll just need a stalwart supply of food, beverage, and music [​IMG]

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

GET THE ATSG MANUAL, SAVES ALOT OF HEADACHE. GOT A CAMERA? IT'LL TAKE SOME TIME, MAKE SURE ITS CLEAN/CLEAN/CLEAN. IF YOU TAKE APART THE VALVEBODY, AND YOU SHOULD, CAREFULLY LAY OUT ALL THE PIECES IN ORDER THAT THEY CAME OUT IN. SAME FOR THE TRANNY. IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY MECHANICALLY INCLINED, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO PULL IT OFF. CHECK ALL OF THE HARD PARTS CAREFULLY ALSO. THE ATSG MANUAL COVERS THIS.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't forget to budget for the special tools you'll need. Getting the clutch packs out of the housing looks like it's pretty tough without the right stuff.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. fortcollinsram

Can't I rent most of the tools?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know if those are the sort of tools that most rental places carry. There probably isn't a very big demand for them since very few people rebuild their own transmissions. You should call around and ask before you have the tranny in pieces. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Most of tools can't be rented. I went through a th350 and th400 in tech school, but IMO this is not something for the amatuer or even the shadetree. I would just pull out the tranny and drop it at a reputable tranny shop (BTW... while we are on it. The 700 is one of the most incorrectly moded and rebuilt trannys out there, find a place that knows their stuff!) The R&amp;I is the expensive part. Most places will rebuild them for about 5 bills parts and labor.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. fortcollinsram

Where can I pick up one of those ATSG manuals? Also, would it be worthwhile to put a new TC in while I am at it? Thanks for the help gang [​IMG]

Chris

10. Blazinit

Blazinit Registered Member

I was told that the pre-89 700r4's are not worth rebuilding unless you put the 3-4 pack in it...is that something that the video shows? I am in the same predicament and am getting ready to junk the 700r4 and move into something less expensive to rebuild/replace.

'84 K5 Blazer 4"Rancho w/Quad Diamond Backs 350/TH700r4/NP208/35" BFG AT/10 bolt F&R
    Washington, USA

11. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if your transmission has a lot of junk in the fluid or any metal shavings/grit in it, it is best to install a new torque convertor, you can't get all the fluid out of the old one, when you use it over the old dirty fluid comes out into your fresh tranny when you start it up.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes it would be a good (actually great) idea to replace the torque converter. If it has less than 5,000 miles on it for whatever reason, you "can" reuse it, but I would have it Power flushed at a local tranny shop (some have machines for this purpose, but some don't because they feel re-using a converter is a bad idea even if fairly new).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can get them at some transmission shops that have parts counters, and probably Amazon : )

Throw a new converter on there. The TCC wears, as do the splines. Bearings/bushings wear, etc. You can always have yours rebuilt, but just as cheap to buy another one. (which will be a rebuilt one anyways)

If you are swapping parts one for one (IE no "upgrades") then rebuilding is a simple matter. When you start messing with the seperator plate orifices, changing valves and springs, etc., is when you CAN run into problems. If you put it back together, and it doesn't work right, you could have fun trying to get it fixed again.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you are going to rebuild it, make sure you build it "strong enough" to withstand what you are going to ask it to do. The later stock ones live for 100k+ when driven sanely. If you don't beat the truck up, replace only what is needed, and leave it.

Depending on whats wrong with it in the first place (simply worn seals and clutches for example) its a simple matter of dissassembly, clean, and reassemble with required new parts. (and some measurements usually) Any special tools you might need, why not call a couple of local transmission shops, and see if they will do those tasks for a small fee? I've paid a local shop $5 or 10 to pull and replace the low/reverse assembly out of a TH350, well worth the small amount of money vs time I would have had to spend.

Just some more ideas and thoughts

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?