Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here has pulled a first gen body off its frame?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Feb 2, 2003.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any pointers?

I'm almost to the point that I'm just going to do this - then fix everything!

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Its easy as pie /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I've done like three now, there is nothing really tough about it. I may even space my body off the frame for some frame work/body lift in the next few weeks.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Keep track of where all the shims were.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Taking it off was a piece of cake, putting it on was a little tricky because the frame wasnt exactly under the body. Yeah remember where the shims went!

5. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the responses -

What about the wiring? - any problems with this? - or does it just unplug where the body meets the frame...?

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes, theres a harness that runs along the frame, for the lights, it unplugs at the body. The wire to the gas tank sending unit unplugs and there were two others that werent hooked up to anything, I think it went to the license plate light.

7. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

Brakes lines, emergency brake cable at the firewall, grounding straps from the body to the frame, oil pressure line from block to gauge, gas filler hose, shifter linkage needs to be disconnected as well. Can probably plan on replacing the body mount bolts after 30 years of service. Do a search to find the correct size bolts, there was a posting last year sometime. As you lift the body just make sure nothing else is connected, only lift a little at first and double check everything.
    Good luck.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

After seeing your truck there this weekend I have an idea for you...

FIRST get your axles under it to roll around on!

Then if you do decide to take the body off you can lift it and hang it from your garage rafters (or use camper jacks that can sit outside your tires).

I would then roll your frame out from under the body (no engine/tranny/tcase) into the driveway. Then you can sandblast, paint, etc on the frame in your drive (or roll it off to side of house or in other garage bay).

In my experience pulling body's off it is easier to lift the body and roll the frame out under it.

9. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

What shimms?
    Where can I support the body of the rockers are rusted?
    I built an A frame for the rear that will go where the rear wheel wells are. I removed the front clip and dont know where to support the body.
    Any Suggestions?

10. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

rocker boxes

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

With an "A" frame, slip a fairly long 4x4 or 2 2x6's on edge through the window opening's. [window's rolled down] and add a comealong to the radiator support, to balance the front end.
    To keep the body shim's in order, use zip tie's, or small mechanic's wire, and hang them at their original position's.

Pick it up, then roll the frame out from under it. Rest the cab on a couple of 50 gallon barrel's, or damn sturdy sawhorse's.

The box can be handled by two 6' Guy's, just unbolt it, and if You have a trailer, set it on there.[take the tailgate off first].

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

Oh 1 more thing, the top shold be kept on, its part of the structure of the whole body I belive.

13. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

I removed a body of one of my blazers about 3 years ago I used one of are CAT tracked excavators and used nylon slings tied to the boom of the hoe....If you have a full roll cage in the vehical already you won't need the top on...If you lift it with the top off the truck will fold in or out depending on where the slings where placed and apply great preasure on the doors..and possible opening them with all twisting..If that where to happen it would be a disarter the blazer would fold in on it self or open wide open at the doors..

In any event what ever you paln to rest the body on you want to make sure that you structure or A-frame or workhorse is resting with the length of the body not from side to side as this will apply force on the body and you would not be able to take the doors and top of it...aslo once you got the body where you want it you may want to shim it so the doors will open then you have somewhat of a idea that it's not all twisted up while it sits there..

Ive seen guys use 2 cherry pickers to lift a conventionl pick up cab...but 1st gen are a hole diffrent story.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif