Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who here has quit smoking?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudhog, Jan 6, 2006.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what was the best thing that helped you quit? i want to try and quit today so im looking for help:doah: :D

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go get some oranges. Take your normal "smoke" break, just bring an orange. peel and eat. gives you somethinfg to do with your hands/mouth and an excuse to go outside or where ever you took smoke breaks before.

3. mudhog

thats the thing i am a heavy smoker:mad: i smoke like 3 packs a day so i have almost always got a smoke going:mad: i need to stop now. i know it is going to be hard but i NEED to stop

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I quit for 4 months, but I'm smoking again. The patchs worked for me. I ate alot of jolly rancher hard candies, and chewed on alot of straws. I think I started smoking again more because of of hanging around smokers then any other reason.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Not I, cant do it

6. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I smoked 2 packs a day for about 10 years,,,one day while driving to work I was lighting up a morning smoke and the whole pack of matches lit off and I choked on the sulpher and smoke,,,

That was the last straw,,,I threw the matches and pack of cig's out of the window on I-95 and never smoked another one since.
    all's it takes is willpower,,,,,,, decide to stop today and never give in to the cravings,,period,,your body will thank you many times over.

once you decide to quit,and you must 100 % believe you WANT to quit,,

then,

JUST DO IT and never look back.

7. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

The birth of my daughter made me quit

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad started smoking at a very young age when my grandpa died and quit when I was young. He went cold turkey but I believe he did the orange trick. When he would normally take a smoke break he'd get something reasonably healthy to eat.

I only smoked heavily for a short period of time but one thing that helped was that it was finals week. Mentally I was a wreck but I had to study so it kept me occupied.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if your that heavy a smoker, consider some help... the patch eased my suffering.. my sis had good luck on that prescribed pill...

believe me, its more than willpower the first week.. that nicotine addiction causes fits with your body...

10. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I smoked 2 packs a day minimum for about 5 years and then wratched it up to at least 4 (sometimes 5) packs a day for the next 10 years. I have been smoke free since December 20, 2000. First of all, I decided that I wanted to be a non smoker (I had tried quitting many many times, but never decided I wanted to be a non smoker). Next, I bought the patch which helped me a lot with the irratibility issues. Then I created a network of people I could call when the cravings hit. The reality is that the craving only lasts for about 5 minutes, so I made it through each craving one at a time. I would call my buddy (has to be someone you can count on to talk to you and not just say "do what you want") and talk to him about all the things I would be able to do if I didn't smoke (for example I ran a mile for th efirst time in my life...EVER after I quit smoking), and then relax and try to take it easy...For the first few weeks I was calling someone every 10 minutes, but then it got a little better. I ate a lot and decided that I didn't care how much weight I gained, I could lose it later (shot up to 208lbs, and I am only 5'9", but now I am at 170lbs and about 10% body fat and healthier than I have ever been). Also, every month I took the money I saved and bought myself a reward...do the math 5 packs a day at $4 a pack...that's a $600 present at the end of month 1!!

If you are serious, you can do it, good luck!

11. mudhog

I'm already to fat so I'm thinking i might jump on the exorcise equipment when the cravings start:confused: i just smoked my last sig about 10min ago and i am now out of smokes:crazy: so now if i can just keep from going and getting more:doah: :crazy:

12. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i quit after 10 yrs of smokin, i started dippin. worked on the physical side of wanting to socialize and smoke. i did it when i was on deployment in the carribean. so that made it harder prolly. then i quit dipping over the next 6 mo.
    wife quite after 5 yrs from taking some anti depressant pill and nicorett gum- the navy way to get u to stop smokin. worked too, then again she got pregnat with daughter so that had somethin to do with it im shure

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Go mail Batman that should get ya to quit, it'll give you something to do for the next 6 months...:haha:

14. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

If you're serious, I'll back that play. E-mail me, I got my little crack berrry rollin so can respond pretty quickly most of the time...except when I am working on my truck (often) or having sex (not so often)

danielsn@pcbancorp.com

15. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

I quite smoking 3 years ago. I used some pills called welbutrin that my wife got me (she's a nurse) I think they are expensive but they really help with cravings of any kind, you only take them for 11 days or so. Actually i didnt think i would ever be able to quite because i drive for a living and used to love to smoke while driving....or smoke while drinking... I dont have a problem doing either one without smoking now.

I had tried to quite several times but always ended up smoking again. The only thing i can tell you is you have to want to quite smoking for YOU and you alone. You will never be able to quite if your doing it for someone else. I had an incident while sleeping one night (I thought it was a heart attack) and i actually think that scared me into quitting, i would have been able to quite cold turkey.

Good Luck!

16. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I quit 9 yrs ago. was smoking 2 packs a day. just put them down and nevere looked back. now if I could do that with weight loss, I'd have it whipped

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just send me the $8 a day that you were spending and we will both be happy. Problem solved.:D

On a serious note, at 3 packs a day some patches or pills probably aint a bad idea.

18. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I had been trying for a few months to, but the death of my grandfather on the 23 of december this year was the kicker. Only had one since then, on new years eve. Basically i think its a social thing for me and something to keep me busy. Any this has been the longest ive gone without since I started so hopefully Ill kick it.

19. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That's 60 cigarettes a day, even if you're up for 24 hours straight, that's a cigarette every 24 minutes :|

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Shannon:

Whenever the urge grabs you, go to the sink and get a BIG glass of water. Chug that sucker down as fast as you can. By the time you're done drinking you won't want a smoke.