Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here has shortened / lengthened a frame ... NEW PROJECT TRUCK!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about taking the 1 ton crew cab dually that I just bought and making it single rear wheel, shortening up the wheelbase to bring the rear tires right up to the back of the cab, putting my motor, tranny, case etc... in it, installing a full interior cage (gotta be able to haul the wife and kids! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif), and having a new wheeler. My big question is in the shorteing of the frame. Has anyone here done this, if so what method did you use? Any pictures? Any mistakes that you would not repeat again?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

m j has done it.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not sure, but I think MJ used a whole 2WD frame without cutting the length, but I could be wrong.

As for cutting, I've cut them down and lengthened them to make bob tail log skidders all the way up to car haulers with 18' beds. Also ran a frame machine so I've spliced a few too. It's not that hard, but it's not something that you want to just jump in and do either. Seems like most of them I see are done wrong, and I fixed a lot of screwed up (and broken) scab work when I ran the frame machine. But going through just the basic ins-n-outs would take a small book. Lots of pros, cons, techniques, and trade-offs depending on how/where you splice and the intended purpose. There were some basic discussions on here quite a while back, maybe a year or so. Afraid I don't have the time or the mind right now to attempt a rehash...

Easiest way is like I did my truggy. Just move the axle mounts forward on the frame. But then you won't be able to use a standard bed (if that's what you want).

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Desert Rat 67 (guessing the name) has done it. He was on ORC, and is on CK5

He did exactly what you are thinking

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

could always put the crewcab on a burb frame. Puts the tires right about where you are talking. That or a long bed frame, not sure if the wheelbase is the same as a burb, had conflicting answers on that.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have one sitting in my driveway. It is a 1976 3+3 dually that is now a shortbed SRW. We chopped the frame right as it starts to level out (about 18" in front of the rear axle). Welded it up with a large square plate inside and it seems to work. I can try to get some pics up if you would like.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Not sure, but I think MJ used a whole 2WD frame without cutting the length, but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. m j took a 2wd C30 frame with 131.5" of wheelbase and cut it down to an swb pickup @ 117.5" and added all the 4wd suspension to the front of it.

I'm sure he'll chime in here shortly.