Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here hunts?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just wondering. Draw results are posted over the phone and maybe online to now. Unfortunately I got nothing this year. No deer or elk. So now I have to put in for 2nd deer, or go meat stabbing (definite possibility). On the brighter side, I did get drawn for 1st dove & quail. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I guess it will leave me more time to try out my new shotgun. (16 gauge Remington Express)

WHat areas did you get drawn for and for what? Hope some of you had better luck then me. (seems most people did) (I'm bitter can you tell? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif )

Anyone here dove hunt? I will be doing alot of that this year it seems, and might need some people to go blasting with. (I think we need to start a hunting team with a four wheeling problem)

2. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I got drawn /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I wil be going down to unit 32 to hunt coues whitetail.(lots of fun) Plus, I got drawn for archery cow elk in 5b north. I hunted this unit last year for bull, so I know exactly where they hang out. Looks like I will have to buy that new upright freezer.

3. ript

ript Registered Member

Bull Elk, Unit 7 West, Archery only. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and then i went WHEEEEEEEEEEE!

i dont put in for deer, as i hunt archery only, so tha's not a problem.

ahh.. september 13, come to me, dawwwwling, and feel my sweet embrace!

time to buy a bigger freezer!

4. bigdaddy89

I usually go archery deer, but I hadn't been rifle hunting for coues since 94. Its so much fun, plus this gives me a reason to buy another rifle. I am thinking about getting that new ruger compact, its only 26 1/2 inches long. You shouldn't have a problem finding a nice bull in 7. It took me six years to get drawn for archery bull last year so I was only hunting horns and passed up a lot a real nice bulls. I wanted to fill the freezer this year, so I picked cow on my second pick. Gook luck everybody.

5. blender

blender Registered Member

thanks for reminding me to check, the game/fish dept. is not sending out the pink slips anymore to let us know if were drawn or not , you have to call or go online to get the info www.azgf.com , WOOHOO it looks like i'm hunting in the high desert, 16a south of Kingman towards Wickenburg and over to Lake Havasu, I've never wheeled that place but it looks like fun especially around the Burro Creek area. Im not sure when dove season starts but i usually go the first day of the season with haulgas, but we have different days off now so im not sure when he's going yet. I'm probably going the first saturday of the season let me know if you want to come along . No guantees, the area we go to is hot one year cold the next .

6. Hossbaby50

A buddy of mine at work got drawn for 16A rifle deer too. He hasn't hunted there either. He said he is going to go scout during archery season, as he archery hunts also. He drive a big ugly lifted 76 Chevy that is pretty hardcore.

I might have to take you up on that dove offer. Where is your area at. I like my spot, but it is a long way away. (past Wickenburg about 10 miles from Aguila) and the other is by Circle City (10-15 miles this side of Wickenburg).

My last hope is 2nd Deer draw if there is any leftover tags. I have had them before, usually in 29 hunting those couse (sp) deer. Not a bad area, just a long drive. (especially with the new 4.56's)

7. Hossbaby50

Oh ya,

Does anyone here know of any prairie dog hunting in this state. I know there are some up by the Ashfork/Seligmen area, but are there any closer? I might just be a varmit hunter this year.

BigDaddy89, I have most of those new short Rugers in stock at my store. .223, .243, .308, in both normal wood blued ($500) or the laminated stainless ($580). If you want, give me a call at work. (602) 264-1970. Ask for Harley

8. blender

blender Registered Member

We were probably hunting the same place for dove, we usually go south of Cicle City. Let me know if your friend finds any cool spots up in 16a .

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Drawn for dove and quail? Are they resorting to that now???!!! I noticed alot of doves in the Martinez Canyon /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. I'm new into archery myself. What a blast!

10. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

why is it so hard to get a deer tag in az ?? in ny you pay your $40.00 bucks you get a big game tag that will let you take a deer (buck) a bear , archery tag, buck or doe if you sacore with the bow for $10.00 bicks more you can get a seconed deer tag. samll game tag that covers any small game that flys or runs squirrl, birds bobcats cyote, fox, etc turkey tag $ 2.00 dollars that gives you 2 birds in the spring and fall??? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. Hossbaby50

The dove an quail remark was a little joke. I am currently contemplating the archery thing, but I have been spending most of my $ on my truck and gun habits.

Bklynlifted,

It is harder to get deer tags here for a few reasons. One, we don't get alot of this thing that they call rain (supposedly is wet and falls from the sky). Second is that a fair portion of our state won't support the large amounts of deer that your state will because of the rain factor. We also tend to have alot of hunters in this state. We are a much more "free" state then a state like yours. Guns are easy to purchase in this state, so we have alot of people hunting, especially large game like deer and elk.

I work at a gun shop here in Phoenix, and I recently had a Deputy District Attorney from NY call my shop and ask what type of permits that you needed to own a handgun in AZ. I replied to her, none. She was amazed and shocked at that response. (NY had an AZ man that brought a handgun with him on a plane to NYC in jail because handguns are illegal in NYC without special permits) In AZ we don't require any type of permit to own a gun.

12. bigdaddy89

Harley, which sportsman do you work at? (location) You can go prairie dog hunting up by Williams. There is a huge open area that has alot of little dogs looking to get plowed. What kind of binoculars do you guys carry?

13. Hossbaby50

I work at the Arizona Sportsman on Camelback RD. The addy is 525 west camelback.

We carry a fair selection of binoculars.

Winchester (cheap stuff)
    Pentax (cheap to expensive)(some on factory rebate right now)
    Nikon (cheap to exp)
    Canon (on the more pricey side)
    Brunton (very little)
    and some of the following (not an extensive amoint)
    Zeiss, Swaroski (sp), Kahles, and Leica.

If you want call me at (602) 264-1970. I work Sun., Mon., Tues., Thurs.

Thanks for the tip on the Williams area. I should have know that it was there, I have elk hunted in Unit 8 twice. Williams is a little closer then Ash Fork, and faster to get to.

14. bigdaddy89

I will try to stop by there today. I drive by there about 4 times a week.