Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who here in the nw knows how to set up gears?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Sep 17, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just wondering.... Im thinkin of goin to 5.13s soon and was wondering who'd be best to bribe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif shops are generally a jip for this kinda thing. I dont need the axle rebuilt or anything... all the bearings/seals and all that crap are good... i just want different gears. any1?

j

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Dude if you can read and have a ok set of tools you can do it yourself. Go online to Randy's Ring and Pinion and find the install manual for Yukon gears, print it and read it a few times. the light will come on and you will save paying someone 200.00 bucks for install. the worst case is you will have to get bearings pressed off and on and that is about 30.00 to do this. How many miles are on the differential? Do it right the first time and it will last, scrimp and get cheap it will cost you more in the long run.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

J,

PM Josh (Silver84K5) - he has a guy over this side of the river that does them for $150 per end. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

now thats a good resource if the guy will guarantee them... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif post the contact info if you get it so we can all throw our patronage at him. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I can set up gears with no problem. If you have access to a good set of tools it should go faily well.

6. jekbrown

what exactly qualifies as a good set of tools to you guys? I mean, I have the standard stuff... big set o sockets, ratchets, wrenches and all that jazz. I dont have any wacky stuff tho like case spreaders or any kind of weird pinion depth measuring tools or whatever. lol!

I'd rather not set up gears all by my lonesome... had a bad experience with a ff14b once. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I figured if a ck5-er had the skillz I'd ask around and try and find em first... and if not then ponder the local shop option. Gears are gonna run me around $300... and I'd rather not make this a $1k operation. Id be willing to pay a ck5er for their time, so long as they are confident in what they are doing and have a little experience doin it.

j

7. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I can do 'em. Seattle may be a little far for you though. I've done lots of gears and lockers and know what I'm doing. PM me for pricing.

8. jekbrown

YGM. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

9. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

just go to the advanced preview forum if its in a d44 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif there is a tech article some clown did /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. jekbrown

cmon now, I'm 1-ton... no stinkin d44s here... them are for jeeps! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no stinkin d44s here... them are for jeeps!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey NOW there bucky!! Some of us still run the ol' D44!! We're not all "single little spoiled only children in the family"!! J/K!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I wish I'da went 1 ton when I had the chance...regrettin' it ever since... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We're not all "single little spoiled only children in the family"!! J/K!!!

[/ QUOTE ] well D44 is the biggest pain there is, if its anything else, its way easier.

13. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey NOW there bucky!! Some of us still run the ol' D44!! We're not all "single little spoiled only children in the family"!! J/K!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey! I'll have you know Im from a spoiled two kid household! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif the cash to make my rig 1-ton basically came from my income from the marines and my GI Bill. Other than that, ur right, Im pretty spoiled. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AFA goin 1-ton, when/if ya do lemme know I'll come over and help ya do the swap. Im not the best wrencher in the world, but I did the swap b4 so I oughta be able to help... especially since you lemme use ur garage. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

the D44 front really isnt a bad axle... and a d44/ff14b combo is pretty dang capable. If I didnt have the 39.5 TSLs, Id prolly run a similar set up. As it is, need them 1-tons! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j