Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here knows Mobile video installation?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jun 22, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I just purchased an overhead DVD player for my Dodge. I have been qouted $250 for install!!

Is it worth it to have it done professionally or is it something I could do myself??

Any help would be appreciated! :)

2. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

If your asking, you have already answered your own question. The best thing about professional install is that the shop should have insurance to replace a headliner or a defective product and not blame you if you try it yourself first. Most of the kits are pretty simple to install if you have some experience with pulling wires and checking first before you put a screw through the roof or floor into a gas line. $250 can add up quick in damages. Just my opinion and I use to do high end audio/video systems for a living.

3. stallion85

That's what I was thinking. Just have it done proffesionally.

I thought it couldn't be that hard, but the pressure on tearing up the head liner in my new truck would be too great :)

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

That is a good idea and is why I go to the barber to get my hair cut, cuz I may be able to do it, but they do it straight and even. Good luck and before you cut, have you thought about headrest monitors instead. Those are the easiest to install, better for viewing and they don't get in the way of your rear view mirror. And when you sell you pull them out and put the old ones back, unlike the hole in the headliner. Just a thought. Take the $250 and apply it to headrests monitors. Plus with a switch, 2nd video source, and headphones you can watch 2 different things at the same time

5. stallion85

Already purchased the over head player :( The headrests I looked at were around $1200!!!!!

Plus with the over head one I bought, it turns 180' so my wife can watch it up front if need be.

Plus, both of my digi cams are Sony, I can plug in the memory stick and watch photos or video just taken on the screen, which is cool :)

BTW, it's 9" screen

[​IMG]