Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here rides a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 2, 2005.

?

What kind of bike do you have?

1. Sport bike

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. Touring/cruising bike

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. Dirt/off-road bike

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  4. ATV

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. I don't have a bike.

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  6. I'm nekkid

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just bought a 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. It's not perfect, but I'm so totally stoked to have a bike now... I'm going to run over and take pics during lunch... Don't rag on me too bad, oh Harley men, I'm just getting into it! :D

I just read the DMV manual and I'm going to see if I can go get my permit this week, but I don't really have much of a clue how to ride...

The MSF Ridercourse is $350. :eek:

Anyone ever take it? I know everyone will say safety safety safety, but is it *really* worth it? BTW, in my state, a course completion certificate waives the motorcycle road test requirement, and I get my license at completion.

There are private instructors available around here, but they're about $40 an hour. In a 1-1 setting, can I learn enough in a couple hours to render the 15-hour course moot?
    The next course is this weekend, too, so I'd have to get my crap together and go pay for it quick if I go that route. Next after that is in September.
    I like courses that go in-depth and teach you effective techniques. I took a driving course once that taught me how to accelerate into turns properly, and that's stuck with me ever since. That stuff I find value in, but I've taken so many other courses that I couldn't stay awake through that just recited the same alcohol blood level crap over and over.

I should have researched the course earlier, but what can ya do. I can squeak $350 through without noticing due to a fund raising drive I started friday, but I really don't want to. I don't get why I pay taxes up the arse and DMV fees through the roof, and DMV provides a dozen free auto driving safety courses, and no Motorcycle courses...

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Take the MSF course. The price is worth not having to test with DMV alone and you pick up some good skills. And above all, don't ride over your head. Now, I gotta go take some more meds and lay down again..........

3. jroymcd

jroymcd Registered Member

i just sold my bike to get my k5

4. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Used to ride, and took the MSF course. It was required to ride a motorcycle on base. Good stuff in there, well worth taking it.

5. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

ATV only. I used to ride a two wheeler, now they scare the hell out of me.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i ride a 02' ktm 400 exc with a 450 cc long stroke kit, my son rides a crf 50.

7. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

ditto the msf course is probably the best thing you can do.
    pay attention to other drivers they will kill you sooner than you'll kill yourself, look at d/r's post here it has almost happened to me and a similar event killed my lil brothers old boss over the weekend...
    good luck and enjoy!!

8. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

been a few years since i had one but the yzfr6 is going to be mine in a few months whenever they become available. No more 05s. Only gettin' the yamaha cause the discount (employee). Never had this style but it has a high markup so can make some money when I am able to sell it in a year (any employee purchase). I have always rode standard bikes from the 70's and 80's.

9. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

What, no dual sport option?! I have been riding a KLR 650 for a few years now. I have never taken the MSF course but know a few who have. It is a great course to take, especially if you are new to riding. It will give you good habits to hold onto. Better off doing it now than trying to unlearn bad habits years later!

10. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my mom won't let me have a bike ;)

but i do have 2 atvs polaris 500ho and honda recon :p:

11. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I just bought a '05 Harley night train (same as standard softail but blacked out) on May 22nd and I love it! I already have 3500 miles on it and I am going to sturgis next week so I should put on well over another 1000 miles in the 4 days ill be there. My first street bike was a '00 Honda CBR 600 I then sold that and bought a '04 Suzuki GSXR 1000 Matt Mladin edition, it was an awesome bike, the power was unreal! It just wasnt the same anymore though, all i could think about as I was hauling down the highway was losing my liscnese so I sold it and got something a little slower.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

DR, yeah, your incident is well in the front of my mind...

I've wanted one for years, I just called on this one last week kind of not really expecting anything to happen, and we worked out a great deal. I just have to figure out how to get it out of New York City...

I guess I'll go ahead and take the course. Thanks for the info y'all.

Next bike thread will be a shameless pics thread!

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

1983 FXWG I ordered from Harley Davidson Military Sales when I was in Guam.

Shovel-heads rule!!!

Still a kicking, literately sometimes!!!

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

'62 Harley Davidson Sportster (I need to finish putting it back to gather) I'm doing a complete rebuild on it.

15. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i have a few bikes, my mom is an owner of an Iron Horse class in San Fran. i know here class is really good and has been cert. to do DOD people. most all i talk to likes it even though it can be little boring sometimes, but there are challenging parts to it. i say do it its worth avoiding DMV.

although i have been riding for 15yrs and never done it :p: mom still trying to get me to do it-for free even :p:

16. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been riding all my life. At the moment I've got a Triumph 955 Speed Triple for the road and a KTM 450exc for enduro work. :D

TRIUMPH 001 copy.JPG

TRIUMPH 002 copy.JPG

Img_1736 copy.JPG

17. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Here's a pick of the GSXR 1000 that i sold in May :( . I really miss it but i love my Harley even more! Just wish it was faster. I dont have a picture of my Harley here, but ill get one after work and post it tommorow.

P3230068.JPG

18. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 XLCH that i just restored

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  19. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I miss my FZR1000.

Sold it six month's after being married. Hmmm, is their a connection there?

Actually, I sold it to pay off debt. It was the "hard but right thing to do". My words.

Since then, with 4 children, the Suburban is my toy.

The FZR was faster. :D

Still have my m/c license though. Had it for 26 years now.

Whoa...I'm old!

20. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

definatly take the course. everyone i know that rides reccomends that. around here they have a beginners or advanced course. the advanced is just one saturday instead of two. i'd love to have a street bike, but the traffic in SoCal is just insane.

i recently bought my own dirtbike for the first time. ive only borrowed friends bikes, but this summer i got the itch bad. i got an 88' and a 90 CR250R's for me and my dad. last week i bought another from a buddy, a 98' CR250R with hardly any hours on it. next i want one of those new CRF's :D