Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here uses a fuel cell... got a couple questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5DRAGER, Jul 31, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to install a 20 gal fuel cell that has a sump and was wondering which way you mounted it. I'm curious if it better to mount the sump off to the side, to the front ,or to the rear? I'm worried about fuel starvation on extreme angles. Let me hear what ya think.

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

They are usually mounted w/the sump facing the rear. No starvation under launch in Drag cars. I would probably be inclined (No Pun Intended) to do it that way so it would not starve out during hill climbs. Lot of it will depend on what your normal driving conditions are.

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Yeah I knew the reason they had the sumps and that they mounted them towards the rear. I was just looking into severe hill climbs and severe down hill like you mentioned. I was going to mount it towards the rear but am worried about the severe down hill angle and possible fuel starvation and stalling. Any other idea's or suggestions?

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

As far as my driving habits, this is a dedicated trail rig. Pretty much anything goes as far as trails. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

mount the sump towards the back...its the best way to do it for everyday driving, and for most everything else..

6. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

I have mine mounted towards the front,because of the way its fits under my bed.Plus its baffled so the sump is seperate from the rest of the tank.There are four 1/4" holes towards the front of the tank that fill the sump.When Im on an incline the sump holds the fuel plus the return line is above the fill holes.
    Ive been thinking about adding another sump in the rear just in case. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I just wheeled my first trip with the new fuel cell and did not think of this and on up hill climbs if I stayed there to long it would die. Come to find out the pick up was in the frt. left coner so I moved it to the rear middle and it is all good now. I heard there is a dual pick up out there it has a check ball in it so when it picks up air it will use the other pick up.

8. Confedneck

anyone got a link for that dual sump setup? ill be doing a fuel cell/toolbox styler setup in my k10 when i get a new bed..and wouldnt mind having 2 sumps in each tank, as it will be split into 2...

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Never thought of that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

With two sumps how will you keep from sucking air out of the high one when you want fuel out of the low one ?

One sump centered in the floor of the tank would be an easier solution.

11. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    there is a dual pick up out there it has a check ball in it so when it picks up air it will use the other pick up.

[/ QUOTE ]

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Humm, seems needlessly complicated to me. Approaches the the stuffing it's a@% with bricks method of killing the cat.

13. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Found that dual pickup setup from holley, I'm ordering it tomorrow. It sure sounds like its just what I'm looking for to cure this problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Here's a link that someone has that did a write up on this. www.bigredheep.com/Tech/misc/Holleys_fuel_pickup.php

14. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

PM Marve_springer, he never does any thing at work, so he has time to help ya out.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif