Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who hooks up the strap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skroo, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Alright, during my little trip to Shiloh ridge this weekend, after my buddy broke his rear driveshaft twice it was pretty beat up. we thru it back in and I said if he breaks it I ain't hooking up the strap. He said it's the passengers responsability. Now, I don't believe that. I think if the driver makes a mistake and gets stuck or breaks then he gets to hook it up. When I get stuck, I'm the first one out to hook it up becouse I got stuck and I feel better knowing that I know where its hooked to. What do ya'll think? Should the driver or passenger hook up the cable?

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I think it depends on the situation, if he feels uncomforable getting out of the vechicle where it's at then quit being such an a$$hole and hook it up, your there wheeling with him.

3. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

Around here, most stucks aren't dangerous (mostly just woods trails) so I figure the owner hooks the strap to his truck.
    That way there isn't as much confusion over what is the "proper" place to hook on.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i never hook up ANYONE'S rig but my own. I'm not going to be responsible. If they are big enuff to get stuck wheeling, then they can get their butt out and hook up their own damn rig.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    2. If you get stuck, it is the navigator's responsibility to hook up the tow strap.

[/ QUOTE ]

reading material here

The driver needs to be in control of the rig at all times, which means he's behind the wheel at all times. If you are a passenger in a vehicle on a wheeling trip before you get into the vehicle you should know where the straps and tow points are. The Navigator (passenger) should be in constant contact with the driver. 'I'm hooking up the strap dont move, the strap is hooked to the right front shackle;' or in the case of the winch ' the tow line is hooked to a tree base about 15' feet away, I'm starting the line in (since the Navigator is outside, he controls the winch also, this leaves the driver to help by using the gas and brakes in which the navigator is instructing the driver). Most of the time the driver is blind to whats happing outside the rig, if you have to navigate rocks you would be outside saying turn left move right.
    Thats my two cents

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i never hook up ANYONE'S rig but my own. I'm not going to be responsible. If they are big enuff to get stuck wheeling, then they can get their butt out and hook up their own damn rig.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen trucks on the verge of rolling over where if the driver had gotten out who knows what would happen. Worse than rolling a vehicle is getting out and have it roll onto you. I help if the situation calls for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen trucks on the verge of rolling over where if the driver had gotten out who knows what would happen. Worse than rolling a vehicle is getting out and have it roll onto you. I help if the situation calls for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so roll over the passanger instead? that's a great idea... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I meant if you weren't in the truck. I also said "if the situation calls for it." Obviously if it isnt safe for either to get out, then someone else needs to help.

I was just trying to make the point that everyone needs to help each other out on the trail, cause you never know when you'll be the one needing a hand. Safety should come first. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

dunno. I have seen a few people hook a strap to some odd places. I don't want to be on the end of one of those "you owe me a new bumper!" conversation.

Dunno. JMHO.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree, depends on the sit. if there is ANY chance of the rig rolling over or rolling downhill (no ebrake... tranny could let go) then the driver should stay behind the wheel and belted in. If you are on completely flat terrain and stuck in a mud hole, with NO possibility of the rig going anywhere, then i dont see why the driver couldnt get out and hook up da strap.

j

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

watched the left and right frame rails come together with a strap recover.
    moron hooked it to centre of rear crossmember.
    chevs rip the front bumper and frame horns on good snatches.
    unless you know the driver offering to snatch you isnt a moron, do not hook up.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If I'm riding shotgun with someone, I have the common courtesy to help out the driver that has the courtesy to haul my big butt around the trail.

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

ahahahaha!

i have been in that situation but it truly wasn't my fault

i hooked the chain (yes, chain. . . shoot me!) to his hitch, which was underwater, and when i tugged him it slipped and the clevis hook caught the bumper and tore the sh!t out of his bumper. . . anywho, his rich daddy bought him a new dually bumper (rich bass turd) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Passenger has to lock the hubs and hook up the strap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    there taking you wheeling why not?

15. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If my passenger knows how to rig, their ass is hooking it up, otherwise I guess I'd have to do it...

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

If I were riding shotgun, I'd volunteer to do it.

17. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Well every time I wheel anything that may require a winch my brother is usually with me. So he always does the hook up. he likes to do it and I trust him. I guess he is my official spotter. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

IMO the stuckee gets muddy.

If its someone I dont know, I will advise them on where to hook up but for the most part I wheel w/ the same guys that have been doing it forever, so I trust them.

99% of the time I get out and toss stuff to them anyhow so I am out, but on dry ground.

There have been time the guy being pulled was too "EWWWIE" to just get dirty and get it over w/, so I will just get it done myself so we can get moving again sometime that day. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

It all depends on the situation really but the type of wheeling I do doesnt require the driver having to be in the rig if stuck. In a rollover possibility, whoever is handy best be hookin up.

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is my take on it:

If the situation is not extreme and it is safe for the driver to get out and hook up the strap then they need to get out to do it, unless he is very comfortable with the passenger doing it and the passenger is too.

If it is dangerous or impossible for the driver to get out then the passenger or another compotent offroader needs to help out and hook up letting the driver know where and how the strap is being attached. That way the driver knows what is going on and can consult on where and how to hook up.

This is a reason that it is good to offroad with compotent and knowledgable people. That way someone doesn't get hurt, or stuff get broken that doesn't need to.

The only time I get involved in straping up a truck is when it is my truck, the other party is ok with me hooking up to there vehicle, or when someone is about to do something stupid that could get people or machine hurt.

Here is an example of my last hookup of two trucks. This happened right after the big snow storm we had last month. My buddy backed his Exploder up to pull another roommate out of a snow drift. My buddy in the Exploder trusts me enough to hook up his truck (I know as much or more then him) so I did. Then the other roommate hooked my tow chain around his bumper (plastic Furd truck bumper). I immediately stopped him as the bumper would have just ripped off, costing him lots of money, possibly hurting me with flying chain & bumper, and possibly damaging my buddies truck. Since he didn't know how to hook up a truck correctly I hooked it up for him to his frame.

One side of the chain was trust, and the other was ignorance.

20. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

True, we got stuck once before and I jumped out and hooked it up. he got stuck cause his lights werent bright enough. BUT, when we threw the beat up driveshaft back in(yoke almost gone, slight bow, and a bunch of dents and one hole) I said I would'nt hook it up cause I told him that was gonna break. He knew it would but the week end was almost over and he wanted to go out one more time. There is plenty of times I jump out and hook up to a truck when I don't even know the person, but if the person knows he is gonna get stuck or break the he should hook it up to his own truck.