Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who is running 36" hummer tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Who is running 36\" hummer tires?

OKay just got my hummer tires mounted yesterday and I have some questions for you guys who are running them.

1. how much pressure are you running in your tires on the road? The shop that mounted them put 40PSI in them and they were so hard that at 55MPH they were shaking the truck apart, I have since aired them down to 25PSI. Is that too low?

2. Do your tires wander on the road and do you have a prob with bumpsteer? I went from 33" radials to 36" bias, I don't know if it is the size or the bias part of my tires, but they walk all over the road and I have so serious bumpsteer that was not there before the new tires.

Thats all for now, thank in advance for the help.

Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Who is running 36\" hummer tires?

heard of bigger tires causing bumpsteer before, and bias tires have a tendency to wander. As for air pressure, I don't run them so I have no idea but to my knowledge Hummers don't go over 55 really so they woulnd't have to cope with that.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Don't go much over 55 huh???? I beg to differ, a hummer will fly, no probs....

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A HMMWV will go 65 or so usually, no faster unless its downhill.

My tires are 38.5x16 and I haven't done a whole lot of driving but I was expecting them to wander and they don't really.

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

they wont go much more than 55 but they will sustain that over what ever is in thier way /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

heck ya, i used to get my hummer up around 50 on the fenceline road in GTMO. speed limit on the fence was 10 mph, but that didnt stop me from flooring it between mop 3 and mop 13. That rig may be IFS/IRS, but it would suck up foot deep potholes at 50 mph like few rigs can. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

don't know yet man, I'm picking mine up on saturday so, hopefully we will get some more posts on here regarding this issue...

anyone running these with crossover?
    that help any with wandering and bumpsteer. (crossover is supposed to help a lot with bumpsteer.)

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've been runnin the Hummer 36's since last Aug. I will say they tend to wear out fast is used on the road alot. Then again, if you paid 50 a piece like I did not a big issue. As far as PSI, I have been running mine at 25 the entire time. I air down to 17-20 when off road. I try not to go below 17 due to 16.5 rim size & no bead-locks. As far as bumpsteer, not sure exactly what it is. I will say that the tires tend to want to follow the grives in the roads prttey bad.

I hope this helps some. God luck with your new treads!!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

I've been running mine at right about 32, too lazy to experiment right now (I only drive a mile or so to work) but on a HMMWV they run around 20lbs IIRC, so 25 should be fine. Mine wander a little but I've had it up to 75 pulling a car trailer with a Jeep Cherokee on it and no problems... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif