Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who is running a 383 tbi?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 2, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just what the topic says. $144 for a crank for the single rear main motor, I've boogered the balancer up(repairable) so I'm thinking, why not just install a stroker crank and get a new balancer?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You have to get the block clearanced also to run a stroker crank...

I have a TBI 383 in my 89 heavy half, but I didn't build it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I know that, thats little money in the long run.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[hi jack] how much torque do 383 stroker engines make? [/hi jack]

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

another hijack
    can you use the stock tbi system or does that have to be upgraded?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    another hijack
    can you use the stock tbi system or does that have to be upgraded?

[/ QUOTE ]
    no hijack there, THATS WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I want to know myself.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Clearance the block, maybe clearance the con rods too. You will need new pistons. Do the one piece rear main cranks all come internally balanced? If so, then reusing your old one will be feasable.

It looks like some people make the stock TBI work, but for me that defeats the purpose of putting in a larger motor for more power. For the gains I would want, I think it would need to be fed more fuel.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1026292/page/8/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/3#Post1153130

I think info there is along the same lines as you are looking for....

8. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> clearance block, con rods, 1pc RMS is internal unless u buy a stroker 400 crank (like from scat or sumthin) then its external, but if ur gonna buy a new crank, the cheapest one i've found thats even remotely durable is the Eagle and its around $500-700. Stuff ain't cheap by any means. reuse balancer, but u might as well have the whole assembly balanced by a shop, u get better idle quaility, longer life and a whole list of other good things. or, now that i think of it, u could just go gank a 400 crank/balancer/flexplate or flywheel from a junker, turn down the mains, run the stock rods and pistons (i could be wrong on that one though, forgot the mathematics of it) depends on what you wanna do. I def would not use the stock tbi, it just wasn't meant for much larger than a 350. good ol gm huh? lol. get the holley projection or for hahas, u might be able to get away with the larger TB from jegs or sumthin similar.But,don't be surpised when ur all said and done u've spent a few grand and are now well onto blowing out ur rear diff or your whole drivetrain. one thing leads to another... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif just my 2cents. </font>

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a 383 blowing out my SM465 and 14 bolt ff?? Eagle for $500-700? I just bought an Eagle for $144, externally balanced, not forged but why would I need a forged crank?

10. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> didn't know u had those. lol, go for it! forged mainly cus i like to build things to take w/e i throw at them. lol. next time i'll click ur link b4 spoutin off. lol. rock on!!! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You might want to talk to crazy427. he just put one in.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha no problem /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif you were making the exact kind of post I would have made in the same situation. I think I'm going to try a 2" bore throttle body, with holley intake, upgraded fuel system. If it doesn't work out I will go to a carb then TPI likely.

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have been running the stock tbi system on mine, except I have the Holley throttle body. It doesn't do bad. The things that are hindering mine right now are the cam and comp. ratio...... The cam is way too big for a EFI engine. DOnt know what the builder was thinking when he chose that cam for my friend. And the comp ratio is way too freakin high for pump gas! I have the ignition retard quite a ways and even with 94, I still get pinging.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Once i get a few things squared away with some other projects, I am goign to see about running some thick headgaskets to bring the ratio down...

Even with the above things, I still have lots o'power!

Things I know that are done to mine:

Manley rods, KB Hyperu Pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, Scat crank, Comp cam(unknown)....

14. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok Im still fresh with the 383 cause I just finished mine two days ago. 1st on order is Comp ratio, you are gonna have to run larger heads to bring it down considerably or there are a few other things to bring it down but a good ole set of large heads does the trick EX: 76cc 74cc. As far as building your setup if you have the extra $$ go with the forged cause like someone else said you wanna have it last a while and beat anything you throw at it. You will have to get the block clearanced and possibly the rods (i had mine shot peened and smoothed out). I got lucky on the price cause I had most of the machining done here on base (lots cheaper than out in town) I also got lucky to get a forged crank by accident from the company I got my stroker kit from, there lose my gain. Other than that Im not to familiar with the TBI setup sorry I could'nt help out with that if you have any build questions please ask away. O yeah and with the stroker kits HP output and torque output it really all depends on the build I guess if you could average my guess would be around 375-400 HP and 425-450 lbs of torque just a shot in the dark. Good luck its well worth it...

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I've got a stroker tbi in my truck and it runs pretty damn good. The biggest limitation is the stock TBI, I went with the holley 670 which immediately made a huge difference. I had a chip burned that would be a best guess for my application and its not bad at all. If I was to do more tuning I am sure I could get a few more ponies out of it but I dont think it would be anything real noticeable. For a little fuel injected small block that thing is a torque monger. I once had 3.73's with 38's and I could howl those swampers goin around town. If you have any questions about your build up I would be glad to help out. Heres my stroker /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Stroker pic installed
    Stroker on stand

S/R torquer 2 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves, crane cam 210/216 @0.050 and .454"/.480" lift, holley pro-jection intake, holley 670 TBI with a 80 pound fuel pump.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was talking to a friend last night, I am getting a 454 TB from him, thinking either HI flow factory 68lbs/hr injectors or I don't know. He was thinking I should put a Vortec fuel pump in the tank for more fuel delivery.

17. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

My engine (388ci) makes approximatly 410 ftlbs at 1500-3500 rpms. I am using a stock 350 tbi unit, but I matched it with ported 305 heads. This gave me super low end torque and absolutly nothing past 4000 rpms. Its made for hauling a suburban and towing. I do have a 454 tbi unit, but I don't have heads to match it so i'm not putting it on. Also I am running a 700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif