Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who is running a doubler on there DD? Opinions Please?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I came across what looks like a good deal but I haven't went to look at the truck. It's a 73 K5 that's an Auto and he say's it has the 205 in it. Must have been swapped in or something. Anyway, I was considering buying this vehicle for the X-case to eventually do the doubler. Who is running this in thier DD? What is the average cost to install one of these units? I have done some searchs and read tech articles, but Now I need some personal opinions. Thanks Guys and Gals. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I ran one for at least 3 years in a DD....

[ QUOTE ]
    What is the average cost to install one of these units?

[/ QUOTE ]
    $2k including d-shafts

The ORD doubler is a great setup!

Marv

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I haven't installed mine yet, but a tight budet number is $1500 but that is without driveshafts. I got lucky and can keep my rear shaft stock and I will lengthen my my front shaft myself.

4. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

You may also get lucky like me and have your old rear shaft fit in the front. It was a 79K5 with a th350 and 203...then went to a sm465/203/gen1 doubler/205(for a th350). Worked out real slick and only had so buy a rear shaft.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I spent about $2k on mine with shafts and some exhaust work.

Mine is not a DD but there is no reason why ya couldnt drive every day with a Doubler /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

Most likely the trans is a th350. If so, you will have to have the input machined out for the bigger bearing. The th350 version 205 has a smaller bearing then the th400 205. It will probably be worth it to look for a th400 version rather then paying to have the other one modified.

I have a doubler in my truck now and I like it. It was either the double or lower gears(when I had the 60 and the 14 bolt). They were both around $1300, but with the doubler you get to keep the highway gears and have 2 low range choices. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I see no disadvantage of a doubler setup onroad, for me it will be an advantage over my current SM465/203 setup. I plan on triple sticking mine this way I can do whatever I want with the cases!