Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who is running a tpi set up off a camaro?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gotmud77, Jul 16, 2004.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I have one that is going to be very inexpensive to buy just wanted to see what else i will need.

Cam,heads,????????
    Any help would be great.
    I plan on running it on a faily stock K5 350,headers,auto,35"tires,

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

That was the setup i was looking for but i just could not remember who had it. Thanks and i will check out what you wrote and see if i come up with any questions.

Thanks,

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

me too

But mines MAF (PITA to duct for cold air) and I'm using Vortec heads. (thus a Vortec only base)

Ryan had the right idea, especially if you are looking for a "low-buck" swap (no offense intended nor implied) the expense/pain comes when you start dealing with the '87+ intake bolt pattern on old heads, or Vortec/Fast Burn heads.

For a pre-'87 motor, a 1985-86 TPI setup is a real good idea, (again solely for the base) however, the '85 setup IIRC is a bit different than later in components/wiring, and isn't very highly recommended. But the base/runners/plenum would all work fine, and the harness might be useable as well.

MAP is the way to go for cleanliness, but doesn't "adapt" as well to a different engine than what the ECM thinks it's running. It's typically considered the better of the two systems, but when you spend the time to tune it, will respond better to the mods than MAF.

Inexpensive doesn't usually go hand in hand with complete. Is there anything missing? Missing/non-functional components add GREATLY to the expense of an injection swap.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I do I do!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run a MAF TPI system off a Firebird.

7. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

The kit that i have is off a 1990 camaro with a 350 in it. This means i need to use a set of center bolt heads correct????

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You don't HAVE to use it with centerbolt heads, but that is one option...you can try to grind the two center intake bolt surfaces flush, or have someone do it for you, swap heads, or find the '85-86 base.

Where are the heads that were on that motor? I think those would be the L98 heads, and while not as good as later heads, nor aftermarkets, they are still better than the junk they used in the truck engines.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The 4 center bolts of the intake are at differrent agngles then the earlier heads, and they are not in the correct spot, too high up.

You have to mill the intake flat and open up the holes so the 4 center bolt holes line up with the threads on the intake. Piece of cake if you have a fluted bit.

10. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

11. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

When using the tpi set up do you have to use a smaller distribtor or will the one out of my 84 work?

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard it will work with the large cap style distributors but I will tell you it is cramped pretty bad with the small cap style. You will absolutely HATE life if you use a bigcap HEI setup.

Get a small cap HEI and you will hate life alot less. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif