Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who is running Chro-Mo front shafts in a D44, any problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Mar 25, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am debating on getting rid of my D44 and upgrading to a 60. I want to hear any stories for owners with Chro-Mo shafts. What kind of problems have you encountered..any breakage? It just seems to me that with the beefy shafts and some CTM U-joints the D44 would be one bad mamma-jamma and still be cheaper than a 60. With a good aftermarket R&P, carrier, and premium hubs why wouldnt a D44 hold up to hard wheeling and say 40" tires?

So help me If I come home with another axle, my wife will kill me!

Thanks
    Brent

2. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

ive thought alot about this same thing . Sounds like a good idea. The only thing i can think of besides r&p is balljoints, bearings. But if someone could share some real exp with a 38.5 or bigger tires and hard wheeling, lots of right foot action

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I have thought the same thing.. the 44 is a stout axle. it needs help in certain areas if you're going to abuse it but I think with the upgraded axleshafts, and everything else is good or new shape (ball joints, bearings, r&p, hubs, etc) it will take some serious abuse.

personally unless a '60 fell into my lap, Id spend the bucks on upgrading my 44. especially if its in decent shape, like mine is now

mike

4. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I have a set a cro-mo's waitng to be installed. Waiting for my front end to come back. Just had a detroit and gears installed. I will tell you if i like them.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have warn chrome-molys on my front 10 bolt... they have served me well. I am going 1 ton tho.... 39.5s are my future off-road-only tires... and its only a matter of time before that D44 goes <pop, BANG!>. Something is gonna give. For 36" tires and smaller... sure, a beefed 44 or 10 will work. I wouldnt go any bigger if you plan on wheelin hard tho...

J

6. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

well before i went 1-ton i had a 3/4 ton dana 44 with the moly shafts in them i broke 2 of them warn warantied 1 of them but the second one they did not. the first one i broke was in a very dificult rock section in the tillamook national forest so i wasant suprised that it broke but the second one i broke at sand lake climbing the first bowl and thats the one they didnt replace for free. im running 38.5s and i replaced the u-joints once a year wether they needed it or not so the breakage was not do to a wore out u-joint. if i were you i would just save your money and go with a 60 if you do any hard wheelin it will save you money in the long run. i wish i had done that in the first place. also when i broke the second axle it took out the ball joints and left me standed,you dont have to worry about that with the 60 sence they have trunions instesd of balljoints.

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

i kinda have to agree with 79flatbed. once you buy the axleshafts, beefier u-joints, axle truss and quality r&p, your getting up close to the price of a 60. plus your still not as stout as a 60. I've thought of doing this too, but I have finally decided to go with a 60 once my 10 breaks or before if i can. (it's just easier to justify it to the wife once it breaks./forums/images/icons/wink.gif)
    Just my $.02

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Money Money Money! It all boils down to money!
    I have a D44 that is built as tuff as you can build a D44. So far,knock knock, it has been great! I run 35"Swampers and would not go any bigger on 1/2 ton front end. For the D60 I would want would be about 2500 bucks,probly more, so the 1000 or so I have into my front( Warn Shafts,full circle 297s,Powr-Lok,Dana R&P,Warn Prem Hubs w/fuses, RockStomper Rock rod w/Moog tie rod ends) If I ever destroy this one then I supose D60 is what I need?? BUTTT I know if you have good throttle habbits then the D44 should last just fine!!
    .02c

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've thought about this a lot and almost bought a set of chromoly shafts for my front 10-bolt when they first came out. The problem was that I had only broken the axle u-joint and not the actual shaft, and at the time there were not any high strength u-joints on the market. Now that CTM and Superior are offering the HD u-joints it might be a different story. The combination of the shafts and joints, along with the cheap and easy to replace Warn hub fuses to protect the rest of the axle assembly, an aftermarket full-case locker, r&p and good hubs, would make a strong axle.

The only trouble is the cost. $500-600 for shafts + $200 u-joints + $80 hubs + 200 r&p + $500 locker = $1300 just in parts. You can by a ready to go Dana 60, slap in a lock-right, and have an axle that's stronger for about the same price, or maybe just slightly more.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

ahh, smal problem Warn claims you can't run the fuses with a locker/forums/images/icons/frown.gif From what I read the fuse lets go and then that release & granades the rest/forums/images/icons/frown.gif....

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The last I heard, Warn specifically said that only a Detroit locker could not be used. I have also read reports that the fuses blowing also took out a Lock-right....but it was a Dana 44 under a fullsize and they managed to blow out both fuses at the same time, meaning it was probably a really big hit to the system. Something like the ARB shouldn't be affected by the fuses.

But overall you are right, that is another drawback.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhh Ok I just thought "locker' in general! Thanks!
    D60 is still gonna win when it come to brute strength over a built D44..... We shal see how my D44 holds up to Moab's trails in August!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Later

13. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The built 10b vs a d60 is a great debate for sure. It all depends on the check book. I ass u me that most guys
    already have their 10b-d44 switched over to 8 lug set up.
    If not factor in tires & wheels. For me it would be twice as
    much or more to swap in a d60 as opposed to beefing up
    a 10b. I'm only a poser w/35 in at's so d60 & 14b would only
    add to weight of my rig.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I doubt you'll break your front with 35" ATs, but I would keep an eye on that rear if you 'wheel. 10 bolt rears aren't too great.

As for the hardened shafts, I think it's a pretty good idea. It will be a while before I justify spending that much money on a D60, but if I snap shafts and they have a lifetime warrenty, I wouldn't have a problem buying them. I won't break them that much anyway, I'm pretty sane until it gets deep.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a 10-bolt rear can be ok... warn ff kit? 30 spline chrome-molys, warn premiums etc can make it a weee bit better than stock. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif The *only* reason I am going 1 ton is cause I am going to 39.5s off road... if 35s or 36s was it for me, I'd stick with the beefed half tons I have now.. they have served me well.

J

16. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to walk all over this post but I have a deal brewing with another board member for his frt & rear
    "built" 10 bolts. Warn cro-mo frt shafts & warn ff kit for
    the rear. I my self don't need 1 ton gear. Not yet anyway.
    Driving to and from work, pulling my 16ft alum. bass boat
    and not much wheeling just don't justify it. As I start to wheel
    more freq. and more difficult or get a bigger boat, I'll step up.
    for now I'll max out what I have. I think a good ten bolt is underated. With 456's and an auburn diff. I can bark my 35's..
    Jim

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That sounds like a really good setup. It's not 1 ton axles, but I'd think 30 spline, full floating axleshafts would make even a 10 bolt rear good enough for anything a 35-36" tire could throw at them.

I wasn't even aware that there was such a kit for a 10 bolt rear, I thought only the 12 bolt had a full floating kit offered.

A/Ts are easy on parts anyway compared to grippier tires.

I am not one of the 1 ton fanatics. I'm welding up a 1/2 ton front axle because I don't care if it breaks, parts are cheap since everyone thinks the axles are junk. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif If it breaks, I'll have someone tow me back from the woods, no big deal. I've got a 14 bolt SF in the rear, that's got HUGE, 33 spline axleshafts so i'm not worried about that at all.

"Barking 35s" lol with a Gov-loc'd 4.10 geared 14 bolt SF I can "Bark" both of mine pretty good too. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif One day it was about 70 degrees sideways in my lane when I was pissed off.

18. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

the bottom line is run whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. if you have good luck with 10 bolts, good, run em. peoples 4 wheeling habits and terrain and truck specs differ SO MUCH that there is no "one" right axle for everybody.. Availability of parts is a huge thing too... since Ive been into trucks, 14 FF's have been so readily available that I cant imagine NOT running one...they're so common and between me and a couple friends, we have so many of them that the question of 10/12/14 bolt doesnt even come up. theyre just there.. then I hear of some of you guys having to pay $200-$1000 for them, and I see your side a little differently.. same with me Ive always had a 44 in my trucks (no 10 bolts, no d60s) and so theyve really grown on me especially since ive never had one break, even super-high mileage ones that I abuse (read: extreme play in the axle ujoints and full throttle wheelhop in the sand).. then again none of these trucks ever had anything larger than 33s so that obviously had something to do with it.. man Id run a dana60 in a heartbeat if I could find an affordable one.. by the time I had the gears, posi, brakes, etc done the way I want, Id be in some serious debt. Ohhhh well Ill shutup now. I think my point is pretty clear.

mike

19. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Sooooo.........what's your point Mike?/forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

We'd all run '60s if we could find them affordably, Mike.