Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who is up for a challenge? $1,000,000 cash prize

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Feb 15, 2003.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

The instant I saw this the movie Rat Race popped into my head... and the scene with John Lovitz and the Hitler car.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wantabe Canonball Run ???

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If I had the money to build something to compete,I'd be well off enough to not need the money.{that don't make sence do it?} /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Dat made good cents ta mezza

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like something Steve Rumore (sp prolly...) with his sniper would be interested in. 48" michelins, and 2.5t axles + a winch will get you a lotta places. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Vehicles must be unmanned (no humans or other biological entities onboard) and autonomous. They must not be remotely driven.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys think you could build something to compete in it?

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh just put on a gps system, and rig up a computer that says when u get to x-coordinate turn left 30 degrees.... childs play................................For someone with more money than me..........

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well thats all well and good but what about unmapped ditches and lakes? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Have to have a vision processing system for obstical avoidance and terrain mapping. As well as keeping you centerd on roads. I have the ideas just not the money /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll stick to my little 12x12 autonomous bots...

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That would work fine, if it was an aircraft. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif An autonomous vehicle must have onboard intelligence to decide what to do when it encounters an obstacle. It must know how to deal with a tree in the way, a mountain, rock, or creek to avoid. How does it cross a creek? Or determine the best way around, or over, a mountain range? Knowing where it is and where it is going is the easy part. Getting between those two points with no human intervention isn't a trivial task. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. willyswanter

Yep, I've been messing with a scaled down version of the thing for a year or so. Based on a tamiya clodbuster chassis. Has a CMUcam system and a few rangefinders. Hasn't been out on a voyage yet but is almost there... All ran by a few Parallax 2p40's /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif When I get it all put back together again it should be able to run around through the foot hills here without running into things at a moderate speed and work it's way around obstacles but I have yet to put GPS on it...

12. HarryH3

Sounds like a cool project! How do you deal with depth perception? Like when the vehicle approaches a drop off, perhaps a dry wash. Can it determine the difference between a 1-inch deep dry wash and a 10-foot deep one? Stuff like that is what will separate the men from the boys in that challenge. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. willyswanter

Well, what I would like to do is use stereo vision. With two cameras that are seperated the same distance as human eyes. Then use software to compare the two images and form a depth measurement through triangulation like human sight does. I have found quite a bit of information out there on this as well as some systems ready to go, but they cost around 25 grand or so /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I'm currently doing the research on building it myself which I can do for a few hundred...

I'm thinking using either ultrasonic or laser range finders for simple obstical avoidance then the camera system to follow the terrain. Such as figuring out if some inclines are too steep or if there are any ditches or cliffs in the way.

Could also do a laser distance finder mounted up rather high on the unit aimed down and use this measurement to show a sudden dropoff. Like if you know the vehicle can handle a 10" dropoff but nothing more then if it shows a 10.5" dropoff the vehicle will stop and pick a different course.

Like I said, I have the ideas but I'm lacking the 2 million or so in funding /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. HarryH3

I'd bet that $2 million would just barely get ya started. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I don't see how they could do it on Pavement when other vehicles might be on the road... They say they will "attempt" to clear the roads...

16. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"The entry must be a ground vehicle. That is, it must remain in contact with the ground at all times except for short duration jumps of less than 30 seconds."

Jumps less than 30 seconds. Hrm...ok....someone explain this for me!!

17. willyswanter

Yeah, lol I read that too. I could make a .60 size helicopter that flies at 70mph for 30 second trips /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif