Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who is using a cutting brake setup in their rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jul 3, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Since I will be twin sticking my 205, I figured it would be a good idea to isntall a cutting brake setup to help with those tight turns on the trail, since I have stretched my wheelbase out an extra 5". /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Since I will be twin sticking my 205, I figured it would be a good idea to isntall a cutting brake setup to help with those tight turns on the trail, since I have stretched my wheelbase out an extra 5". /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Watson has cuting brakes on his ORD buggy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have cutting brakes on my K5 and it works great. I used a single line lock on the rear axle, but have a second one to install to make each rear caliper independant. I can shift the rear into neutral and front in lo and turn the front wheels either direction and spin right around. One of the best mods I have ever done. Expecially for the tight "Jeep Trails" here in the Midwest. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh, my line locks are Hurst Brand which are $$ (leftovers from Drag Car days). I have heard of cheaper brands working fine.

Heres what Watson has and what I plan to switch to someday.

http://www22.inetba.com/larrysoffroad/filecabinet/body_cnc.html

Scroll down to the 3/4" bore cutting brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

and here comes another hi jack

you guys have pics or ideas for the twin stick set up? mines kinda iffy at the moment.

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

WHy use Hydrolic, and not just use cables!? Mounted on Cadi calipers!? I know that they allow you to ease off, but do you do that with cutting brakes????? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Bump

Same question. I was planing on useing the parking brake feature aswell.

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I would use the parking brakes if I had them. A buddy of mine has had the caddies on his rig for over 2 years now and has never hooked up a single cable. He said I could buy them when he does a pinion e-brake. The cutting brake is actually cheaper than the caddies and can act as an e-brake.