Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who is using brake proportioning valve w/ rear disks? Easy to install?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Feb 24, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Just like it says, getting ready to thrown in rear disks on my 14ff and was wondering if it a brake proportioning valve is needed? Where does it get installed on an '87 K5? What are you using? What bias are you running F to R?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I'm using the disk/disk valve from Inlinetube; number I believe is PR101. Easy to install, all lines fit, but I had a hell of a time getting all the air out. The only thing that finally did the trick was to unbolt the valve from the crossmember so it was hanging on the lines, and then rapping on it with a wrench while bleeding the rear calipers.

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I bought a Wilwood valve but have never installed it. My brakes work fine without it but the pedal has to be pushed down more before the brakes engage. My rig is not a DD though. The rears will lock-up about the same time the fronts do. I am using Caddy calipers.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From everyones experience so far (which in about 100 different setups, means 100 different experiences) I'd say try it without, before spending money on something you may or may not need.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    From everyones experience so far (which in about 100 different setups, means 100 different experiences) I'd say try it without, before spending money on something you may or may not need.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    And thats about the truth of it!! It seems that everybody who has done disc's has done it different.

I have a wildwood adjustable valve to my rear, Help cut down the locking up, but overall didn't notice much difference in braking.

6. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifI just installed a brake prop from a cadillac with 4 wheel disc brakes on my buddies 82 Blazer. He has 39.5's on it and loves how well it works with his 14 bolt rear disc set up.

7. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I agree that everyone sets it up differently but when I pulled apart my previously used rear end disks it looked like they had been worn severly compared to the front, looking like they were do a little too much work...though that was on a different truck. I think I will take the advise though and check it out first.
    When/if I install a new PV, do I need to bleed all my brakes...figuring so, just checking.