Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who is using heim joints instead of tie rods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Oct 15, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about going heim joints instead of tie rods. Anyone using heim joints in histeer or cross over? How do you like them? Any good or bad feedback?
    Thx
    Brent

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm glad someone asked this, I am very interested in using heims instead of tie rod ends also. </font color>

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Well---i have heims on my tie rod but the thing is i dont have them on my truck yet /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif---so no real world info here---but i will have soe info soon. i do know that the quality heims are called Aurora.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My "sprint car" buddies tell me the holes have to be drilled as to eliminate the tie rod end "taper", so the bolt that goes through the heim will not deflect. I dont know how comfortable its going to be drilling out the knuckles on an axle I have had for 1 day and paid $1000 for.... I have already made too many costly mistakes in this project. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've used "rod ends" quite a lot. I like 'em.... I've heard that they are not legal in some states, so that could affect your decision.

I think that if set up properly, they can be the way to go. Educate yourself on the parts you want to use.... A "heim" is not a "heim". /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif... There are quality rod ends and economy rod ends that may look identical on first glance. National, Aurora several other companies make some good ones. I like the ones Avalanche sells, but I don't know who makes them. Pertinent data is "ultimate radial load" rating, 3 piece designs, teflon coated, etc.. Also, don't trust "self locking" nuts to hold them.... go back and drill for cotter pins, safety wire, or jam nut or some other feature for locking - especially for steering applications. Also load a rod end in "double shear" instead of "single shear" at every possible opportunity.

Marv

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yep, I feel ya on that one, that is my main concern also. I don't want to put ehims in to find that they suck, but be screwed because I drilled the knuckles. The other option is to go full high steer, then you always have the option to go back to regular tie rod ends on the knuckles. I'd rather go with steering in the normal location though, the high steer just doesn't really appeal to me.

Marv, Avalanche sells Auroras, they haven't told me so, but their charts on them match Aurora's exactly. I just wish that they sold the studded ones, I'd rather go that route than use a bolt. Safety wire, eh? That's , I'm always looking for an excuse to use my safety wire pliers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

There is a part you can buy from Speedway and others that "adapt" heims to tierod end applications. See link:
    Adapter
    I've read that heim ends wear faster than tierod ends, epecially if they are not kept clean. You can also get heim seals that should help.
    seals
    Lastly is a shot of the "double shear" mentioned earlier on a custom pitman arm
    Blazer front suspension

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Oh good Lord, you didn't have to post that pic did ya? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually, I'm glad Jerry did that cause I had a thought hit me and I'm currently trying to setup an in-depth tech article on setting up a K5 for the desert. I've already got one person to help, oh wait, I have a private message.......YES.......!!!!!!!

Well, anyway, it looks like I can start the planning stages now...... I'm outta here........

9. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

i thought about welding tabs just outboard of the pass side leaf springs and mounting a custom drag link to that with a rod end... use a 2wd box etc that way, there is no machining to the pass side knuckle or buying one since i have the wrong one anyway... anyone tried this? know how well it would work??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

Didn't mean to hijack the post but do you or anyone elso out there know anything about that pitman arm on that blazer pic...custom or purchaced. If so, where and how much?

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I don't know if Michael knows the info on it, I'm sure it's custom, but I'll be finding out here real soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It's custom.....those dezert guys love "dimple die" work! It may have been made by Jerry at Camburg. We'll ask him more about it on the other board.

14. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Im using Performance Unlimited's setup
    [​IMG]

the spherical rod ends are very tight compared to regular rod ends.

Steering is nice and tight. Still have to take it offroad but I think will do ok.

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Tie Rod Ends (TRE's) are a superior single shear connection and will last longer in just about any vehicle environment. Steel Spherical Rod Ends (SSRE's to differentiate between them and the newer urethane spherical rod ends USRE's) are nice in space limited applications or places you can put them in double shear, and on vehicles with less use. For a driver truck I don't recommend heims (SSRE's) for anything. I'd recommend using RSRE's for the suspension and TRE's for the steering. Not that SSRE's don't work, they work just fine, but they're a less than optimum single shear connection and will wear faster.

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I tend to agree with you on every point except one. I don't know what an RSRE is, or I might agree with you there too. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I would also like to add that TRE (or DLEs (drag link ends) if you need high-misalignment) are cheaper and available in any auto parts store... Only real problem with them is when fabricating new stuff, they require an unusual taper and tap that is hard to find.