Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who knows about 99 and up powerstrokes?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Brians 60s, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I know this is a chevy site, but I thought some of you might know the answers to a few questions. are all 99 and up powerstroke 250 and 350 trucks basically the same? I am talking about tranny, transfer, front and rear end? What trucks had dana 50's and how do you tell them apart from a dana 60. Thank You all... Porch

2. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

You might try asking a local ford dealership. Also, Ford must have a forum somewhere.... they might know better than I or many other Bowtie loyalists.

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

all I know is we have a '01 and it rides like sh*t.....worst riding truck I've ever driven........suspension is horrible....

Brandy

4. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Crunk, I know what you are saying. I just can't find a site on the web for Fords that anyone can seem to agree on anything. do you have any ideas? thanks

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I believe they are the same..
    As for the 50 versus the 60, it's easy read on the housing, the number is cast in.

7. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

Your best bet would be www.thedieselstop.com arveetek gave you the best site for blue oval discussion. Basically the same format as coloradok5, just for Fords. Cheers and good luck.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As for the 50 versus the 60, it's easy read on the housing, the number is cast in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The series designations have disappeared from Dana housings. I figure about '99 or so. The 50 and 60 fronts are very similar externally. They share the same diff cover now. Check out how small the D50 ring gear looks in this F250SD:
    [​IMG]

DRW trucks get the D60. SRW trucks get the D50 - although I've heard this changed for '02 making the D60 available in the SRW... don't know if that goes for F250 and F350, or just the latter. Otherwise there's no real difference between the 250 and 350 SRW other than the GVW rating, and heavier rated springs.

The DRW has another difference - the Dana 80 rear when diesel or V10 is optioned.

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Otherwise there's no real difference between the 250 and 350 SRW other than the GVW rating, and heavier rated springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the D50 have balljoints as opposed to the 60's kingpins? Or do both the newer axles have balljoints?

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Or do both the newer axles have balljoints?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mid '92 is the changeover from kingpin to balljoint on the Ford D60 front. The solid D50 is also balljoint.