Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who knows about metal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Mar 2, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I am unable to get my pinion shaft out of my carrier. It seems like the shaft is a much harder metal than the carrier. If I heat up the carrier all around the shaft will it expand enough to make removing the shaft easier? Should I use propane or acetyline?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am unable to get my pinion shaft out of my carrier. It seems like the shaft is a much harder metal than the carrier. If I heat up the carrier all around the shaft will it expand enough to make removing the shaft easier? Should I use propane or acetyline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you be reusing your carrier?
    if so don't do it.
    If you are removing it to replace with a locker then go ahead, I still think you should be able to remove the pin without heating.
    The first time it will be tricky and you will get frustrated a lot, but the next time you'll know what works.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

That might help. I'd say use propane. I'm sure these things get pretty farkin' hot on a long trip. But in your other post you said that the shaft spins freely withthe spiders. That means the carrier is not to toght. You said the locking bolt was broken? Im willing to bet that it broke at the shaft-to-carrier junction aand the part that broke was just a BIT longer than the diameter of the shaft. At some point the shaft began to rotate, wearing a circular groove in the hole and now your shaft is locked in the hole. I'd do what Confedneck said to do here. Hopefully the carrier doesnt get fawked up. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif