Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who knows about np231's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, May 18, 2006.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Nov 11, 2004
    I'm doing reasearch for a buddy with a 93 dakota. Apparently it has an np231. I searched car-part.com and for 93 it only listed 93's. For all other years, it listed cross years/models. Any idea why the 93 only shows parts for that year? I figure np231's should bolt up to one another with similar drivetrains? Anyone have any input on this?
  2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Dec 21, 2005
    This is all I have on them:

Type: Part-time, aluminum, chain-driven case

Low range: 2.72:1

Applications: ’88-present Jeep Wranglers and Cherokees, ’94-present Dodge ½-ton Ram pickups, ’87-present Dakotas, ’98-present Durangos, ’89-’93 S-10 Blazers and pickups, and S-15 Jimmys and pickups.

The NP231 is the splitter of choice for most Jeep vehicles, and with a 2.72 low range you can understand why. This case can be found under most part-time four-wheel-drive Jeeps and S-10 pickups, Blazers, and S-15 Jimmys. The NP231 can also be found under Dodge Ram ½-tons, though it is a slightly stronger version with a wider chain. The NP231 can be upgraded with 4:1 low-range kits, and the slip-yoke rear shaft can be eliminated for improved driveline angles. The NP231 also gave us an internal oil pump to lubricate moving parts better than the oil slingers of older transfer cases.