Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who knows NP241's inside and out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 3, 2005.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well im still thinking about doing a SFA in my '99 Silverado with an autotrac (so no matter what I have to change the tcase) So I figured I could just go with a stock Chevrolet axle (im not putting a ford axle in it) ANYWAYS a NP241 from a 90-91 would be sweet so I could still use the speedo. BUT I would have to cut a hole in the floor and I have a center console and its not a hard core truck at all... So I know 90's trucks have a 241 Also but wrong side drop but could I use all the electronic shift from that and put in on a Blazer 241 and put it in my 99? (Yes I know I would need to use a 90's swtich cluster from a older truck)
    ANY INFO AT WILL BE GREAT

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pretty certain the shift mechanism is integrated into the case. Its been a month or two since I looked over the shifter mechanism on one. Actually I'm not even sure the Electronic shift ones are 241s, 243 rings a bell.

Why is it you CAN'T make Autotrac work? Have you talked to ORU? Pretty certain I've seen Burbs and such in mags with Autotrac and SFAs. Mind you I don't know what Autotrac even really is :ignore:

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

why dont you want to use a ford axle? if it makes you feel better ford doesnt makem... they just come in fords.:D i just see it being alot easier than trying to make up a shifter setup. plus you go go with a high pinion setup which would be nice

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought a 1979 Wrong Side Drop high pinion Dana 60 so I could run a driver drop NP241 and have decent driveline angles. You might want to consider it.

Most of the early transfer cases with electronic shift are relatively simple. You can convert them both ways.

I just bought a 99 pickup with pushbutton 4wd... but I don't get to see it for a few weeks.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know Ford dosent make the axles but its just a hang up and I know too many people that have done it with a ford axle already. Theres a differance between push botton and autotrac 2500's are push botton (MAYBE some half tons too) and autotrac always uses a 4wd setting on the tcase and it actually dissengauges the axle so if you hooked it up to a solid axle you would be running around in 4Hi all the time.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the clutch pack in the transfercase keeps tension on the front driveshaft and lets it spin. hooking the front driveshaft to a sfa with hubs will have no effect on the truck at all. will still drive like stock.

they also dont actually lock in 4hi or 4 lo. all the power goes through a clutch pack with i think 12 or 13 clutches. thats reason enough for me to get rid of one.

ryan

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

oh yeah, i dont think that gm made an electronic shift pass side drop tcase.

all the ifs stuff is drivers side. and the shifters wont mount up. but i guess you could remote mount your encoder motor (the thing that shifts the t-case) and connect it to a short shift linkage.

why not use a cable shifter? then you could mount it on the driver's side?

ryan

8. megahillbilly

megahillbilly Registered Member

99 sas

wow...I have great regrauds for your thinkin. I call my self a hard core bowtie gearhead.but just because the dana axle came from a ferd dosnt mean you have a ferd pice in your rig. well what I gettin at is.... do you know how work it will be to get the same effct.your truck should still fairly nice inside. might think about where the t/c shifter will be when in 4lo.the shifter might be in the seat. how much of the floor board is gonna have to be cut.hey if you think you can keep it clean then go for it.I have a 97 burb that is a push button t/c.Ialso plan on a sas.the t/c is something Ill have to think about.I havent started serchin yet but when time comes I think an atlas conected to a cable to an 97 t/c shifter will have the bowtie class
    we spend ungodly amounts of our kid's collage moneyto have bitchin rigs so please think of quality,function,apperance when it come time to spendin g's

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im in college right now :D
    But yes its not worth doing if its not gonna be right

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The best thing would be to, as stated earlier, use a Driver Drop 44 or 60 out of a older ford. If you dont want to use the t case thats in there now (246 I think, I kow the HDs are) you could get a 243 out of a earlier truck w/o autotrac and use that, its push button, you can also do a SYE on it.