Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who Knows TOOLS!!!!! Topchoppin!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayv, Jul 14, 2003.

1. tayv

tayv Registered Member

I was going to use a cutoff whell, Sawzall, and metal sheers. Any other Ideas? Gonna do a full convertible conversion.

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

air recip saw! Cuts metal like butter and is clean as Heck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mirage

mirage Registered Member

I'd get my hands on an air nibler or an inline shear. They cost under $50 and can make real nice cuts on sheet metal.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The hard part is that the top has two layers, I was going to use an air saw at the windshield but the two layers were two far apart, especialy at the sides, the air saw blade is just a tad short so I ended up using my veriable speed sawzall, worked pretty well.
    As far as the top where it meets the bedsides, just start cutting about 3" above where you want the final cut so you can hack at it with the sawzall, not real fun, but I found out that if you make a cut and then make another one about a 1/2" higher (kind of like cutting down a tree) to cut away the outside metal it is much easier to see and cut the inside structure, have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did u chop the top on yours??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What, Who, I would never take a sawzall to the UAV. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Ah yeah, sure, no sawzall for you do you have pics???

8. tayv

tayv Registered Member

Is there anything special I need to know about capping the pillars, and the top of the winsdshield? Do I just cout the pillars down and make them flat with the bed. I have printed every pic off this site that I could find. If anyone has some reall close ups of where they capped it, or how they did, that would sure help. Thanks!! Is there anything in those pillars that will be especially hard to cut through? Thanks for everything, this Site is &^%$ing GREAT!!!