Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who likes 35"-36" tires, why?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Oct 17, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Who likes 35\"-36\" tires, why?

Personally I like this size of tires becuase you can get away with using a lot of your stock components, and tire prices aren't too bad. I know one thing that isn't discussed much is how the bigger tires 39+ are hell on your stock P/S. Big tires are sweet, just takes a lot more work to go above 36" tires than it does to get to 36" tires.

I think they are also more capable than most people give them credit. Seems like most people are building their rigs more than they are driving them and go from stock to 1 ton with little in between. Anyways, just bored and was thinking this from reading another post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Who likes 35\"-36\" tires, why?

I like my 36" swampers. I will get another pair when these ware out. They go over almost anything, I can keep my truck low enough to not be top heavy, they didn't require a bunch of hacking to clear the fenders, and work well with the 4.56 factory gears I have (larger tires would mean taller gears and the factory never went above 4.56 so that would mean aftermarket gears which would have added a bunch to the axle swap). I have had good luck keeping my open D44 together with them (no such luck with the 12B).

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Who likes 35"-36" tires, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like my 35" procomps... they are quiet, get decent mileage, they dont feel like ur floating, perform better on rain-slick roads, are cheap (comparitively!) to replace/buy etc etc.

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally I like this size of tires becuase you can get away with using a lot of your stock components

[/ QUOTE ]

true... i wouldnt know tho, lol!! not much left on my rig is stock...

[ QUOTE ]
    I know one thing that isn't discussed much is how the bigger tires 39+ are hell on your stock P/S.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why bigger tires are the LAST thing you install during a buildup. i already had 1-tons, hydro, x-over etc when the 39.5s went on for the first time.

[ QUOTE ]
    Big tires are sweet, just takes a lot more work to go above 36" tires than it does to get to 36" tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I think they are also more capable than most people give them credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, depends on what ur doin tho. Thats one drawback of goin 1-ton, you will prolly lose some clearance. Lil tires + unshaved 14-bolt = land anchor action. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems like most people are building their rigs more than they are driving them and go from stock to 1 ton with little in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

the first part I agree with.... on the second, why make any stops in between? they just cost you more $. Ask anyone who went 1/2...3/4 and then 1-ton and they'll prolly tell ya that they wish they had jut got straight for da 60... especially if they had all kinds of trick parts for their front axle (low gears, lockers, xover etc)... which become useless the day you swap the axle out.

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyways, just bored and was thinking this from reading another post

[/ QUOTE ]

35s have their place, I like mine a lot on-road.

j

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

ill take this one step farther and say i like my 33s. They still perform realy well and since they are on a SWB truck i dont loose any manuverability and since its a ford i didnt even have to lift it so its still technically stock /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    But the biggest reason i wouldnt go over 35s is cost. Initial and long term, a 35 will break less components and is alot easier on everything...

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have "36 x 14.50 x 15" Ground Hawg radials for my K5. They are bigger then I though they'd be.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

So you finally got the tires then? One step closer to to wheelin.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, they're taking up room in the shed. I'm not in a big hurry to do the swap. I'm thinking my tiny tires might be better to go through winter on. Plus it gives me time to get all the little nick nack items you always forget about till you're have way through the swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I definitely disagree on the straight to 1 ton process. I'm glad I've been 1/2 ton twice, then 3/4, and now 1 ton. Unless you've been building trucks your whole life, it's a progressive process...you learn it a little at a time. I wheeled with 31s, then 35s as 1/2 and 3/4 ton, and now I've gone to a set of 38.5" Swampers. Next stop may be 39.5" or I may go bigger, I am undecided. I am glad I went this route.

I knew that one day I'd go 1 ton so I never spent any money on my lesser axles at all. Just swapped them in. Considered welding them, but left them alone and just figured I'd buy lockers when I got the 1 tons. I've got a gov-bomb in the back anyway which works fine...when the D60 goes in, I will slap a lock-right in it and call it done.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 35's have not been my limiting factor. Carb and size have. There have been a few places that a bigger tire would have mad things eaiser but I don't see the offset in Money as being worht it at this point. My truck is still street friendly and will happily cruise all day at 70mph. Other then suspension mods I'm still stock drive shafts.

I did upgrade the front axle to Warn shafts and CTM's. The rear has now become my concern. THe axle shafts are eating bearing surface. It may be an issue of just at the limits of the stock shaft especialy the abuse the Detroit is putting on them. Looking at the possibility of my rear axle being bent or if this is just an issue that the Locker is putting so much stress on the stock axles that the tempering is failing.

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

They definitely have their place, if 35's will do what you want, you can build a GM around them pretty easily, that's why our project 'burb is what it is.

11. Grim-Reaper

I'm not sure I wasn't having just as good of time on 32's, open front and LS rear of the stock 79 we had. Most of the trails that were a chalenge back in the day I run now in 2wd with the Detroit and 35's. The front locker has got me into trouble. Front end would walk sideways on me. Peopl open front had no real problems in the same place. I end up leaving the driverside unlocked a lot of the time now as a result.

12. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I definitely disagree on the straight to 1 ton process. I'm glad I've been 1/2 ton twice, then 3/4, and now 1 ton. Unless you've been building trucks your whole life, it's a progressive process...you learn it a little at a time. I wheeled with 31s, then 35s as 1/2 and 3/4 ton, and now I've gone to a set of 38.5" Swampers. Next stop may be 39.5" or I may go bigger, I am undecided. I am glad I went this route.

[/ QUOTE ]

to each their own I guess... Im not sure I see the point though. I agree you learn a little at a time, but why not learn the same stuff while on 1-tons? I mean, some people think that going out and breaking lots of stuff on the trail is somehow required experience for a 'wheeler. Personally, I'd prefer to gain that same experience by wheeling with other people, and helping them fix their under-built rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif like I said, to each their own... i learned the hard way that building things the right way the first time is the cheaper way to go, and I ain't rich enough to build my rig any other way.

j

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just think you need to start small and build up slowly an upgrade along the way if its the first rig you're building.

It seems with ever mod and every time you break your truck, there is a process of figuring out what works and what doesn't for you before you move onto the next mod.

If you do everything at one time, its just a recipie for disaster in my opinion, like I said, unless you've been building rigs for a long time.

14. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    It seems with ever mod and every time you break your truck, there is a process of figuring out what works and what doesn't for you before you move onto the next mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

it may be just me, but I didnt need to break my semi-floating rear 10 bolt axle to understand that it wouldn't work with 39.5" swampers. Sorta like how I dont need to hit my thumb with a hammer to know that it hurts. I think the real key is that you know how to work on the parts that you do have, so if/when you do break you can fix it. That knowledge doesnt not require breakage, and even if it does, like I said b4, I'll let the other guy break and gain the experience that way. lol! never wheel alone right? thats the best reason right there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Grim, you need that housing back? I didn't use it.

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

yes but for some of us the decision is either go to 3/4 ton and get to wheel within a month or 2, or save for 1 ton and either wait a year or more to wheel or break the 1/2 ton stuff you have. Sure I would love to go straight to 1 ton axles with lockers, rear discs, crossover with hydro assist, etc... Unfortunatly the budget allows for very little so I settle for a 14bff and a 3/4 ton d44 in front with 35s, eventually a locker will go in the 14b unless I get a gov loc, crossover steering would probably be next and my wheeling style will decide if I go with the expensive D60 or if the 3/4 ton front will do all I need it to do. Some of us do have to consider cost of upgrades.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly. I started with 3/4 tons and 35s right away (had the axles before the tires I think). Recently made the choice that I wanted 38s. Got a set of 1 tons, THEN got a set of 38s. Didn't install them yet, but they're here when I need them. Next spring I'll probably pop them in, unless winter wheeling is particularly rough and I run out of front shafts, which I don't see happening.

18. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Grim, you need that housing back? I didn't use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am leaning towards this being a issue with stress from the locker. I'm going to check it for true here soon. I may also truss it for goo measure and then throw in some good shafts.

To be honest This is the housing that has always been under my truck. The housing the detroit and gears was in when I bought it had the same issue. I though the housing may have been tweeked and that's why I swaped into my housing. Year later with my good shafts I have exactly the same damage.

Have you had your shafts out recently and inspected the bearing surface?

You got the housing that came out of the truck Dep parted right?

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I understand what you mean. (for once /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

When people start talking about wheeling more than they actually wheel...crap, most of us are there LOL... I mean use their truck it seems like something is wrong. What works for one person doesn't necessarily hold true for another. Yes there are certain accepted things like 1/2 ton isn't gonna work well with 39.5 TSL's, but it is gonna be kinda scary out there when people with no wheeling experience show up with 1 tons, 42's, and the whole works /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I guess it comes down to, especially if your on a budget, that getting out and wheeling mostly stock with 35's beats the hell out of planning and building a truck, for sometimes years, and not getting to go out and have fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif A lot of the fun (I think) of wheeling is getting out there and seeing these great views of mountains and going where a stock vehicle can't go. Not to mention making friends and having a good time.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly! Finally someone sees my point for once.

Time to go back to the garage. More fender hacking is necessary and awaiting me! Working on the rears an a little more off the front today. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif