Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who likes old school better than new?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Dec 20, 2003.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i like the fact that i don't have all the sensers,carb,ign,exhaust,timing. i don't have to plug it in to know what's wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

i can wholeheartedly agree with that. both of my trucks are older than me. and i love it. i open the hood of any other car in my driveway and it is just a mess of wires, gizmos, widgets, and deally's.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

and thingies /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree i would rather own the older stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif the new has advantages like fuel injection but they can be a major headache /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but the older is much easy-er and cheaper to work on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

old school is the best, FI is for the birds, electric choke Q jet is the ultimate

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My 76 K5 is very basic and simple. No electronic BS to mess with. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going both ways on this one... new trucks make a lot of power stock compared to our older trucks and my favorite thing about computer controlled trucks(especially the new diesels) is with a power reprogrammer, you can gain some outrageous power gains in miutes and you never even have to crawl underneith your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But when it comes to working on anything, older trucks all the way.

8. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I will never own a carb again. I put an 88 5.7 liter in my 79 truck and LOVE it. No need to plug anything in to trouble shoot, just a bent paper clip and the check engine light blinks out the code. I keep a list of codes in the glove box. I realize a bad sensor may leave me on the trail someday, but I don't wheel alone, and the absolute confidence of fuel injection on any angle hill is well worth the risk IMHO.

9. rjfguitar

I plan to buy a newer chevy HD with the duramax and I am going to get the big hoss banks reprogrammer, they are claiming 100 something HP and over 300FT lbs of torque. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Got to be impressed with 500HP and 850ft lb's with a few easy bolt ons.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No ignition, no carb or throttle body, one 12 volt wire to keep it running...my 6.2 is even more old school and simple than an old school small block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Any motor that will run just as well without an intake manifold impress's me.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Just the way I like it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

11. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

With your 2002 your in the woods 20+ miles from the road, 45 miles from the nearest phone. All of a sudden your truck dies. Now is it, fuel pump, cam sensor, crank sensor, map sensor, coolant temp sensor, o2 sensors, ect ect ect ect.

Same situation with a 82 truck and it dies, is it
    A. fuel pump
    B Ignition module/coil/ primary wiring failure

Which situatuation woul you like to be in

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

From the simplicity of working on and repairing, Old School.
    From the performance and ride aspect, New School.

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I love the old stuff. The fact that I can repair whatever is wrong without having to have troubleshooted or any special equipment to find out what it is.
    Computers on vehicles can lick my ball sweat ..sorry, my turrets kicked in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    With your 2002 your in the woods 20+ miles from the road, 45 miles from the nearest phone. All of a sudden your truck dies. Now is it, fuel pump, cam sensor, crank sensor, map sensor, coolant temp sensor, o2 sensors, ect ect ect ect.

Same situation with a 82 truck and it dies, is it
    A. fuel pump
    B Ignition module/coil/ primary wiring failure

Which situatuation woul you like to be in

[/ QUOTE ]I will have it's ass towed into GM and make them fix it under warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No ignition, no carb or throttle body, one 12 volt wire to keep it running...my 6.2 is even more old school and simple than an old school small block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Any motor that will run just as well without an intake manifold impress's me.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Just the way I like it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

i will definately second that. when an old school diesel dies, you know exactly whats wrong. it isnt getting fuel.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally think new tech into old sheetmetal is the best. I've wanted to put EFI on my truck for years. Now that I understand that it's much easier than I'd thought, I'm going to do it.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barring any mechanical failure that will strand you just as easy as a carb (fuel pump, etc) you'll just limp it home. Thats why the EFI systems HAVE limp home mode. Wonder how many of you carb lovers carry spare floats and carb gaskets in the rig at all times?

Of course, this whole thread/question/quote above is pointless if you drive an automatic. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ("I like things simple, but only as long as it simplifies my life, not really my truck")

And PLEASE!! "Same situation with a 82 truck and it dies, is it
    A. fuel pump
    B Ignition module/coil/ primary wiring failure"

Don't forget "is it one of the 40 carb parts that are bad?" I think I'd wager there are JUST as many people that can't keep their carbed rig running on this board as there are problems with EFI setups. I'd also wager a bet that most people that are having EFI problems can still DRIVE their rigs.

All mechanical and electrical devices fail, period. Doesn't matter how many or how few, sooner or later, something is gonna fail. Just because you (collectively) aren't familiar with a system, doesn't mean it's not simple, or can't be understood.

All in fun of course, although I'll never again understand the "joy" of simplicity when the future is here, now, and it's fuel injected. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I still prefer mechanical injection and "Fred Flinstone" technology. Lot's of big dumb steel in my truck...and very little electrical other than the very basics' for lights and stuff.

Rene

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I still prefer mechanical injection and "Fred Flinstone" technology. Lot's of big dumb steel in my truck...and very little electrical other than the very basics' for lights and stuff.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that anyone can argue with you, Rene. You've got us all beat for simplicity.

20. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I like old school EFI. TBI parts are usually available in a pinch. You're always within 100 miles of a NAPA. Custom stuff will leave you stranded for sure whether it's carburated or injected but if you use stock, common parts you can fix up your rig and drive it out of there.