Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who machines D44 knuckles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Apr 16, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I need to get my D44 knuckle machined for crossover steering. I know ORD's website says they do it. Does anyone else?

Is crossover safe for street use? Will the arm fall off? Break the studs? I run 38's and my truck only sees pavement and mud, never any rocks.

I plan to use sky's tall arm, any opinions?
    [​IMG]

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Any machine shop should be able to do it, just make sure they have the right thread count and pitch for the studs.
    make sure they also machine the flat surface absolulty flat also.

with that being said and you can't find anyone locally and you want to send it out, i can do it.

dan

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm using Sky's tall arm. I figure it's putting a lot of stress on that upper balljoint but it aught to be alright.

I had mine machined locally for $75.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I machine them and I'm running sky's tall arm on my burb. Haven't had any troubles with anything as of yet and my burb is 90% street driven daily driver.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running Sky's short arm with 1" spacer to clear the springs. This is a BAD option to go. I found out the hard way. I just ordered Sky's tall arm last week to fix the problem.

I talked to Sky pretty indepth last week about the spacer. He Agreed that it is a bad idea to run the spacer and make the studs that much longer. He said he did the stress models on it and the amount of stress applied and the extra stresses coming from different areas makes them prone to failure over time.

The spacer system would work ok on a DD or a light offroad truck but I put some pretty heavy miles on the truck offroad and it wouldn't hold up. I broke 1 steering studs on the 2nd run out. I replaced them with Grade 9 bolts. That worked well for about 8 months. Then I found out last week that I stretched the grade 9 bolts :yikes: and my steering arm was loose again.

So now I am converting to the Tall arm which Sky said should solve my problems. The Tall arm wasn't available when I ordered my crossover to begin with otherwise I would have went with it from day 1.

The Sky arm itself is a very quality piece of metal. I am very happy with his customer service and his products. They are both top notch.

Harley

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I got mine done at ORD... as others mentioned though, any good machine shop should be able to do it for you... just be infinitely clear on exactly what you want so they don't bugger up your arms.

yes, several types of factory 4x4s use a crossover style steering system. By design its not any less safe than the stock setup.

not if its held on with the proper fasteners and installed correctly.

highly doubtful, if you're worried about it, get some studs from ARP. They are about as strong as a stud can get and still be sold at a sane price.

i run 39.5s and hydro assist... no problems at all with x-over.

Skys arms are fine... but I'd recommend WFO Concepts. Their arms rock and their service kicks butt too. If you get a passanger-side double arm, you'd have the option of putting your tierod behind your axle later on if you wanted to.

j

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone for the replies. If I have it done locally, do I just give them the new arm and show them where it goes?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: I may check into this. I was kind of wanting to go highsteer or something because I usually bend a tie rod about every couple months.

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

What I would do is take both left and right knuckles to them and tell them you want the mirror image of the right arm to the passenger arm, there is also a diagram of every little measurement over on pirate.