Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who made those solid-steel spring perches?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Jun 3, 2005.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Tried the search feature and came up nada. Want to get ahold of whoever made them perches out of solid steel stock.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

rockjunkies.
    that is who i got my solid 14ff spring perches from, but this was like 2 years ago or more...
    if he's not making them anymore, you might want to shoot willyswanter a pm i'm sure he can do it but he might not be taking anymore orders right now either. :crazy:

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers... rock junkies. Unquestionably the beefiest perches in the history of leaf springs. ;)

j

4. thatK30guy

Thanks Ryan and Jason. Muchly appreciated. :cool1:

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

those would be easy to make, even at home as long as you had atleast a portaband hand held band saw like a portacable or milwaukee. just get the right size square stock that would work. have two pieces cut to the correct length so all you have to do is cut the angles on the bottom ends and the axle radius and drill the pin holes. no reason why it cant be accurate either. then break the edges with a decent radius with a grinder and weld them on. the axle radius is the hard part, you cant turn a radius that tight on a light duty saw like that. you would have to make straight cuts to your radius line and keep crossing your cuts to remove material until you have very little material left then try to blend the radius with the saw. you will have to do some grinding to blend the radius to your line. you can minimize your grinding with proper cutting. it sounds like alot of work but it would'nt be bad at all. just wax the blade alot.

6. thatK30guy

Thats a LOT of work to do on solid stock. Its easier on square tubing, but I'm after solid steel.

BTW guys, since Rockjunkies has not been on here for a while, he has disenabled his PM and e-mails. I have no way of contacting him now. :frown1:

7. rdn2blazer

we have plenty of solid square mild steel stock here at our machine shop. i will make a set if you like. you give me dimensions.

8. thatK30guy

I'm not quite ready for them yet. Thats why I was asking for who made them. Doing my homework and planning ahead. Now that you've offered, I will keep you in mind and get back with you sometime within the middle of summer. :cool1:

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You have a pm.

10. rdn2blazer

just pm me when your ready for them.