Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who makes a better quad yamaha or honda poll included

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by highrider_44s, Aug 28, 2004.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i was thinking about buying a quad was looking at both and it's hard to decide so what do you guys think?
    i was looking at the new 05 yamaha kodiac 450
    or the 04 honda forman 450
    or is there another quad that i should look at
    so let me here what you think /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't know those specific models but I have experience with a few different new Yamahas. One is the greatest quad I've ever ridden and makes me drool(YFZ 450) and the other is a snowmobile that was pretty fast and fun. Must say Yamaha is a brand I would stay with if I could afford to buy.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well it kinda depends on what you want to do with the four wheeler. Seeing as how I work at a Honda dealership, I am kinda biased, but out of experience, Honda is the best.

Let us know what your intentions are for the four wheeler, then I can give you a better opinion.

But for an example, let's compare a Yamaha Raptor and a Honda Fourtrax.

The Yamaha has a 600 or 650 CC engine (can't remeber right off). The Honda has a 450 CC engine. Not only will the Honda outrun the Yamaha with a smaller engine, but it weighs less too.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i've had yamaha dirt bikes and honda dirt bikes, i like honda alot better. actually i will probably never own anything else. yamaha is my second choise though.

i know with a yamaha blaster, the shift drum dent thingy (technical term) bolt loosens up and the tranny doesn't stay into gear and it blows the tranny shortly after. it usually only happens on blasters, but ive heard it happening on other yamaha quads. not sure if they changed it on other quads, but they haven't with the blaster. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

the only problem ive had with honda has been with wearing it out. my bike needs main bearings, seals, and the like. i ride it hard and holds up fine with me.

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

honda utility four wheelers are damn near indestructible, but ive never ridden a yamaha utility. seen a grizzly 660, that thing will throw some mud /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

yea, so buy a honda because you can drive over things without breaking it. dont ask why i know this /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a 660 Grizzly and love it. I've been everywhere with it. I've pulled 3000lbs with it up hills and about 25mph with it. (yes 3000) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Kinda crazy.. I digress.

It's a great machine and I've had zero problems.

John

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i am allso looking i think i will go honda just seem better--- 300ex for trail riding

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Ive always loved hondas, but i siggest you look at a rubicon 500 instead of the 450. I found the 450s to be too low sped and have no suspension travel. I myself am looking at a rancher ES 4x4 or a Rubicon for a purchase in the near future

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the rincon is a nice atv to but big $$$$$

10. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I have spent lots of time on both (family & friends). I would buy the Yamaha Kodiak 450. It has all the features and now sports independant rear. I would add some meatier tires and you'd be done. It's a sweet quad.

11. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

YAMAHA,,,, PERIOD.
    I have a 660 grizzley and spend more time waiting for everyone else to get their junk unstuck or end up pulling them out.
    save your money and get a griz,you won't be sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

One thing I heard about the two that would make me go with a honda was that the way the engine is mounted it torques to the side when you get on it where most quads torque to the back. (hope that made sense) So say you are on a big hillclimb and you have to get on it, the honda is not going to cause you to flip over backwards because of the additional torque.

Now this is hearsay from my ex gf dad when he was looking at quads a couple of years ago. Maybe someone could confirm this /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif He went with the honda though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

well i guess i didn't specify the exact use of the quad it's mainly for hunting and whatever else.

i've went and got the new 05 kodiak 450 it was a hard desision but the yamaha seemed to have a lot of goodies that i found hard to resist. it had more ground clearence and suspention travel than the honda it also has fully independent rear suspention /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    they both had 2x4 or 4x4 selection but the yamaha had a push button front diff lock /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif they were both about the same size (yamaha was a bit smaller) the yamaha also had disc brakes front and back as well as the moter is liquid cooled. the only thing that i'm not 100% sold on is the fully automatic tranny it nice when you on tight trails but when your on a staight and you goose it the motor revs up and thats it it doesn't actally shift so you never get that bottem end torq back evertime you shift /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif but you might be able to adjust that /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif have to look into it . but other than that she's one sweet ride /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif