Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes a decent set of plug wires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey 78K5, May 18, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Im pissed I put on a set of those 8.8 Accel plug wires about 2 years ago and haven't even put 3000 miles on the Blazer and they are wasted. They are literly deteriating in to dust two of the boot's were completly split down the sides. Shuld I just get some AC Delcos or some Autolites or Should I go with something like MSD I don't plan on the 350 being in there much longer and it's not my daly driver but I still want it to run right.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got Autolites on the K30 right now, seems ok. It will eventually get a set of Taylors... You couldn't beat me into running the Accels, total trash.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

MSD 8.5 Super Conductors or Performance Distributors' LiveWires. Both great sets of wires, and from my experience with both companies, they stand behind their products.

4. 76JIMMYWPG

76JIMMYWPG Registered Member

dam, don't tell me that, I was having some misfiring problems and i went out and bought some new plugs and some accel 8.8's, it runs better now though, but it better last!

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm running Taylors on 2 of my trucks (soon to be 3). The last set of wires I had were Autolites. They lasted 76K miles in 9 years. They ended up building up too much resistance ... burned a hole right through the dist. cap. I guess 76K miles ain't bad, but I get over 100k from stock wires.

Eric M.

6. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i just replaced the stock plugs and wires on my s-10 which were rated to 100 miles they got to the point where the #3 plug wouldnt even fire i replaced them with accel wires running great now but it only has been there a month BTW the truck is a 98 with 40k so i think its more along the lines of luck of the draw unless you spend good money on a real nice set of plugs and wires but mallory msd and taylor all have great reputations they are just on the pricey side

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had some Jacobs on mine for awhile that I borrowed when one of my other ones melted on my header.... about the only good thing about Jacobs I can say is their plugs wires are very nice.... I threw some standards on so I could return the wires and they work fine but when I replace them I'll be with Jacobs....

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always liked Taylor wires. I'd also consitter some wire looms. AC Delco makes some nice ones with the Chevy Bowtie on them. Keeps your wires up nice and tight, no cross fireing, and looks good.

9. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm going to follow the crowd and say Taylor's. I've ran them on mud drag trucks for quite a few years and they held up to the mud, water, and heat great.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Cool thanks Guys/Gals. BTW I do have headers but I dont thank that was a problem cause I used wire looms and shorter plugs to keep the plug boots as far away from the header tubes as posible and like I said I don't even have 3000 miles on this set of plug wires. I'll probably just go with some Ac's for know untill I put in my 454.

11. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

You can't go wrong with the Delco's. The boots always stay in tact and they don't misfire when wet. Just use Dielectric grease on the ends

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ive had bad luck w/ Accel wires also. I run Taylors now and I love them. MSD would be good also. I was going to use MSD but got a deal on the Taylors, and I am quite happy w/ them and will prob. use them again.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Accel's are pure junk in my opinion. I quit using them many many years ago. I never had a set last over a year. I see by all the posts that their quality has not improved any.

AC Delcos are good for most uses. I like Moroso Blue Max or Taylor Spyro- Pro wires for performance use

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a set of Taylor Spiro-Pros on the S-Jimmy that have been on there for at least 6 years. I installed the Edelbrock TES headers at the same time so they have to deal with some heat. They're still working great. I also have Taylors on the wifes '94 Suburban that have been on there for over 3 years.

15. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'm running MDS helicoil's on both my k5's - the cut to fit. cake to crimp, and they don't cost any more.

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've got Ac Delco's on mine and they are great...replaced the stock AC's at 130K with MSD Heli-Coils, but didn't notice much of a difference, but those got burned o nthe exhaust, went back to AC, couldn't tell a difference. Considering the stock AC's lasted 130K, and still looked great when I took them off, I went back to them because I didn't want to have to order MSD's...I would definately use MSD's again though...only changed out the stock ones cause I had money to spend and thought it would work wonders on it for some reason...I didn't know too much about trucks then....

17. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

also run taylors. some were tight around the headers so I run some that have 90 degree boots and some with the like 145 degree boots. they work fine for me.

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run the MSD Super Conductor Wires and like them alot. My buddy ran Taylors on his 63 Impala SS an liked those alot. Either way, they are really good wires.

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The thing that got me was they wern't burnt they had deterioated into like a chalky substence and were still soft. So like I said it's gonna be AC's for now and when the 454 goes in it's gonna get a full blown ignition kit from either Jacobs, MSD or Taylor. All the rest of my ignition is Accel as well and it's all gonna get the garbage pail slamdunk.

20. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

WOW, alot of Accel bashen going on here........ DAMN I just bought an Accel set up for the new motor "everything" This is very disturbing ! I sure hope there distributors are better than the plug wires, (should have known to go with MSD and Jacobs) ......... We will see how it all holds up........good luck