Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes a dual HORIZONTAL steering stabilizer??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckfan2, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I need a dual stering stabilizer (horizantal style) by this Wed. so please help me... who makes one and anyone know where to get one in southern WI or Northern IL?? Thanks

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00
    "(2H) Where's all the mud?.(4H)...(4L)..(4H)... oh crap"

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I assume horizontal means one on top of the other.......I have a Rancho set on mine, can order them online probably with quick delivery for Wednesday..........

There was a thread last week about the actual need for a dual stabilizer........many guys think only one is needed.......

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>A single stabilizer is fine for tires up to 35"ers but dual for anything larger than 35's.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

5. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

No the horizontal are end to end... the Ranchos are vertical- one on top of the other. I had the ranchos on the other axle but the bottom stabilizer got crushed some how!

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00
    "(2H) Where's all the mud?.(4H)...(4L)..(4H)... oh crap"

6. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken superlift makes the brackets for the end to end style. My brother runs them on his truck. He got them through a company called Jack-it.-Russell

7. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Can you "feel" any difference on the road with one of these or are they mainly for off-roading?

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure steering stabilizers are just used to cover up problems with the steering you make when you lift a truck. It doesn't really make steering any different on mine.

90K5

9. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I had the end to end horizontal ones...about $100 through Summit Racing and made by Black Diamand (a Warn owned company) They did just fine on my 33" tires but did more catching small trees and denting. Ended up thowing one away, keeping the better one, and putting it in the stock stabilzer location. The one works great w/my 33s.

Cruisin in my '73.

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got a Skyjacker set on mine. I mounted them on top of the tie rod to keep them clear of rocks. They definately make a difference. After I got it lifted I didn't have any stabilizers on and I didn't like the steering, there was no "feeling" to it. The truck actually steered too easily, I could drive with my little finger if I wanted. There's nothing wrong with my steering otherwise, I'm definitely not using them to hide any problems. I think my set cost about $100 at my local shop and their prices are better than any magazine prices so it might cost a little more if you mail order them. They use nitrogen charged shocks though, so I think they're worth it.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>They basically help your steering from wandering with larger tires, it makes a great deal of difference driving on the road, it tightens your steering up to help handle better. Try running 35" tires or larger without on and you'll see what I'm talking about.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>