Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who makes a good locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by halftop, Nov 7, 2001.

1. halftop

halftop Registered Member

who makes a good locker for a blazer that is a daily driver and a weekend mud masher?

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

It all depends how how much power you have, tire size and money. I have a lockrite locker in the rear of my 1980 GMC k15. I run 35 BFG's with 456 gears and my motor puts out about 400 h.p. It has been in there for three years and has not given me any problems. I also tow a 26 foot travel trailer often. I change the 90 weight once a year and run synthetic gear oil. I know some people do not like these lockers because they know someone who has blown one up. But here is the key. If your rear end has a ton of miles on it you will probley blow it up also. The Detroit lockers are tough but you have to pull everything apart to install them. The lockrite goes in the original carrier and replaces the spider gears. I am sure others will agree and or disagree which one is better, but I am happy with what I have. Next time I will install a ARB air locker, so I can turn it off when I do not need it. Lockers make your truck handle kinda crazy sometimes

3. halftop

halftop Registered Member

i have 33" with 3.73, 350 that puts out around 325 hp.mostly stock engine. it had a factory locker, but locked up on me and snapped my drive line. so now i have an oper carrier in the rear. the blazer is my only wheels, i don't that much towing with it either.

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

id go with a detroit true trac

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The biggest problem with the drop in lockers is the Detroit EZ. The Lock-Rite holds up well, the EZ does not. EVERYONE (including myself and light stuff like a topless CJ5) that I know that has run an EZ w/ 33s & up has broken it. Mine did work well with 31s, though.
    The normal Detroit is durable and not realy noticable on the street. Off pavement it works great. It gets my vote.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I run Detroit c-lockers front and rear. I love them. I drive my truck to/from work 3-4 times a week and it is our family car on the weekends. Not too mention I use it off-road and for all our long distnace trips. Act funny on the road? Sure. It is a little different, but you get used to it. I have never had a tire chirp on a corner (as some say), but you feel it when you decelerate and accelerate on the highway. But, nothing you don't get used to driving. You had to get used to driving your lifted truck, right? Same kind of adjustment. And offroad? Oh my God. I acn go ANYWHERE! Well, just about. The key is now I can ease through things instead of having to power through or use momentum.

A month or so ago we were at a local OHV area. One of the other trucks without lockers had to really power it up a very steep hill climb that was covered with loose dirt and very bouncy. He made it to the top, but his battery ripped out of its holder and flipped onto his exhaust manifold. Toasted. I was able to drive up the hill with a slow steady pace to keep from bouncing me and/or my passengers around too much. Made it over the top like driving up a hill on the interstate.

Nothing beats a full locker. Nothing. Add a little driving skill to the mix and there is practically nowhere you can't go.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I've used a detroit easy locker with 38-1/2" boggers. Used it for 1-1/2 years without a problem. Sold it and the guy is still using it. I had no problems and it worked fairly well.

I have a detroit in front now- which I love and a power lock in the rear which works really well also'
    i will eventually be putting a detroit in the rear when I upgrade the rear diff.
    I like the power lock. It locks up nicely when needed

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>