Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes bolt in roll bars?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Mar 29, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I know 4 wheel parts does or did..It's not listed on there website anymore. They have a weld in kit for $115,but I rather just have the bolt in. Any other companies make one?

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Smittybuilt makes em. They are in a article in the new Pertersons 4 wheel drive magazine

3. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

Yeah... I was look ing at those..but the problem is they mount wrong.. like a p/u.... still no protection for the rear seat pass. S&W racecar makes an 8 point for 109.00 Im thinking of it... I like the one that allprooffroad.com has for the 4runner..... but not made for the k5...whats up with that??

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey eric-
    Me again I have a bolt in smitybuilt bolt in roll bar it is ok but I want to add to the front (I have the full convert)

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Do you have a link for the S&W cage?

6. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

All Pro only does toyota stuff

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.swracecars.com>S&amp;W Racecars</a>

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

THANKS FOR THE LINK :-)

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thought I'd just share what I did, just in case you guys are interested. I originally bought the Smittybilt Bolt-In Kit and installed it. It comes with the center hoop (behind front seats) and two down bars that extend to the rear floor/fender area. It is a good base kit. I then got the Smittybilt Weld-In Kit for the cab area - it has the two down bars that attach to your center hoop, go to the windshield, and down past the dash to the footwell area...and it also has a windshield spreader bar between these two tubes. That really tightened up the truck. I also added in a "dash bar" - it goes straight across the dash and connects to the side tubes, which also stiffened it all up nicely, and serves as a great "Oh Sh*t" grab bar for the passenger! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Now, I also wanted the protection for the rear passengers, so I decided to make a family cage for the rear. What I found out, and this is cool, is that the Smittybilt Bolt-In Kit center hoop fits perfectly in the rear of the truck also! All I had to do was cut about 8" off of the bottom of the center hoop (this is because the floor rises about halfway back in the later Blazers as you know). The center hoop perfectly follows the hard top lines, and it really looks custom! It tucks up so neatly that it is not even visible from the rear! We welded on some new "feet" for it and bolted it down (with sandwich plates of course). I then added in two straight tubes to connect the new rear hoop to the center hoop! Since the Bolt-In kit comes with the downbars included, you can cut these up for use as straight tubes or for reinforcing tubes, whatever you want.

The whole cage is very strong and really tightened up the whole vehicle...and also gives me peace of mind that myself and all of my passengers are now protected with a full cage! This way is MUCH cheaper than having one custom made also! Next time I take the top off, I will take some pictures of the whole setup for anyone that wants to see it...

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Pics. baby....post 'em pics.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Any pics of it with the top on? Cost?

Looks like a great option.

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of the center hoop and the front weld-in cage kit. This is from last summer, before I had the family cage rear section welded in. This picture was taken for the Nifty Products Catalog, showing their ProLine Replacement Carpet Kits, they had just installed mine...it's amazing how a studio can make the paint look that nice! ha,ha I will try to get my brother's digital cam and snap some pics of the whole assembly with the top on...

www.autoaccessory.com and search for "k5", click on the Project K5 and you will see a pic of the truck with the top off out at TDS. You can see the rear center hoop, although it's not a close-up. You can also see my "bikini top" that I made! You guys will love it - it is actually a Jeep YJs Island Topper that just so happens to fit perfectly on my k5 with the family cage I made! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I just drilled holes in the front edge and was able to bolt it on using the Blazer's top mounting bolts! Then I just used the rear straps and tied them to my roll bar! It works awesome and was about $30 to boot!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, we sell the Bolt-In kits here for $179.95, and the weld-in front kit for $99.95. The problem usually arises with the Truck Shipping costs, since UPS will not take them. If you live in the So Cal area, I can set up a Will Call for you, but they are pretty expensive to ship. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif What you can do, is call 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers and ask them to get you one...see what their price is, and if it is more expensive, ask them to match our price...if you need me to confirm the price, just email me beforehand and I will be glad to help you out...

By the way, those prices are normal retail...I can get you guys 15% off of that price also... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif