Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes headers with the 02 nut?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Sep 17, 2003.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a set of headers that already has the 02 nut in them. Anyone have a link to a decent set.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any emissions legal header will have them for the right application. (CCC truck or TBI)

I figure since I don't have AIR, but need O2, I will buy a set of Hedman Elites (part #69890) and weld the O2 bung on. Costs about $10. Buying the headers locally for $350, but you can get them from Summit for $250. No shipping/hassle with returns locally though, so I guess it's somewhat worth it. (I have a severe distrust of all aftermarket parts and their ability to fit as advertised)

Price difference between the hedman elites with/without "emissions" is about $150. Part of that is the addition of the y-pipe of course. You'll see that with any emissions-compliant header, the requisite y-pipe adds a fair amount of $$. (see Edelbrock TES)

Thorleys can be had for around $400, and they can make them to "your specs" (IE no AIR but O2 as a made up example) but last I heard, it would be something like 4 weeks to delivery. They did however say that if they didn't fit as advertised, I wouldn't have to pay freight back.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Why not just weld in your own...most exhaust shops will supply the bung and weld it in for about $25..I bought a bung from Jegs for $5.99 and welded it in my self...

Chris

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I sell the 02 bungs and headers, just do not have access to any 50 state legal headers. I guess we could just weld an 02 bung in.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think you can get some Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers with the O2 fitting. Why not get the best headers avalible for our trucks. "Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not get the best headers avalible for our trucks. "Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I just looked them up and they are over $500! I can do my whole exhaust in well under that.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since that stuff wasn't readily availble back when I did my TPI swap in '89, I just took the O2 sensor to the hardware store and found a nut that it would thread into. The nut was about 3/4's of an inch thick tough, so I split it in half on a bandsaw, then welded it into the exhaust system. Cost of the nut was something like 34 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Take your O2 sensor to autozone or Napa and tell them you want a spark plug fouler. I think it was an 18mm for a F*rd. Take and cut eht etension off it and drill a hole in the pipe and weld it in place. No Prob. That's what I did and mine works Great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my edelbrock TES headers have the O2 sensor fitting in em. I dont have/need a O2 sensor... but someday I might attach a air/fuel guage sensor in there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I just picked up some DynoMax Headers with AIR but it does not have the O2 bung. I would bet most headers will not come with the bung so you can place it where you want.

11. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

Edlebrock