Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes it? RE: NP205 rumors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I've been offline and out of touch with the Blazer world for some time. I recently began hearing rumblings about a 4:1 kit for the NP205. However, I have yet to find information after several searches. The only information I've run across thus far, which prompted my current search, is in the Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad December 2002 issue page 106 "Top Ten" about "Sid Horman's '83 K5 Blazer". Maybe the August 2002 issue that originally featured the Camo Blazer will have more details. Anyone have a copy handy? Who sells this 4:1 kit for the NP205?

Bo

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I think ORD is somewhere in the mix with this, but to what capacity, I'm not sure.

John

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think it was wagoneer machine that was working on the 3:1 kit. There is the doubler option however...

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

JB Conversions is the company I was referring to that is "working" on the 3:1 kit but based on the thread in the ORD forum is looks like it's in limbo now.

I know WMS has a 203 kit so maybe they will come through with something for a 205.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

There are actually 2 persons trying this and I can't remember the names but both said that the size of the case limits them to a 3-3.3:1 ratio.
    They are both still testing for strength and durability, but expect them to come out soon and expensive.
    Personnaly I would go with a Klune V which has proven to be strong, new and adapts to most round 6 bolt pattern Tcases.
    And the price is about the same as you would get a Doubler setup without the hastle, Sorry Steve /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Sid's K5 runs a doubler I believe. I may be wrong, but I'm am 99% sure he doesn't have a 4.1 205

Wagoner Machine Shop does 3:1 gears for a 203

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Has the price on the Klune-V come down or are you refering to one of ORD's complete set ups? The doubler's value is good if you have cases but goes up fast if you need to buy them.

9. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

KluneV is about 1600+some for the adapter if needed. Depending on your application (most) its basically bolt in.
    Pretty slick unit and it gives you 2.7:1 low for a 5.4:1 ultra-low when used with a 205. Lots of dealers around the country so maybe you can save shipping, too.
    andy

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is about what they were when I priced them.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Depending on your application (most) its basically bolt in

[/ QUOTE ]

unless things have changed adapters are needed for most K trucks.
    the doubler is same hassle as Klune but a pantsload cheaper.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

As someone said here, the doubler is only cheaper if you have the Tcase already and they are the model that is needed.
    Try getting the right output shaft for the 205 with the machining needed to fit the Big bearing, plus rebuilding of both T cases and making the cross member and buying the Kit from ORD, it's not even close to Cheaper.
    All the people I know that got the T cases for $350 for the 2, after buying the kit rebuilding the Cases and everything, tallied at $2300.
    How is that cheaper.
    As for the Klune V, it only works with the newer model T cases which have the round 6 bolt pattern. the old 205 will not work so it's still will only work with the Doubler.
    Myself I will use the Klune V with a 208, which will not need an adapter to fit.
    No need for rebuliding and the shifter is cable activated so easy to locate anywhre convenient.

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you have a good supply of 208's handy. They are weak when you haven't multiplied the input torque by 2.7.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I think I should be fine with 35" tires, a lite body (Jeep Wagoneer) and only snow, mud and sand 4wheeling.
    My K5 diesel is the Rock crawler with all iron drivetrain. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I mainly want the Jeep to have enough power without sacrificing the highway gears.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

your logic is flawed.
    why would you need to rebuild 2 cases with a doubler and none with a 208?
    $60 to machine a hole in the 205 and whatever you can get a 32spline input for will be way cheaper for most, and a dam site stronger then a 208 with that much gear in front of it.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Dude it's not my logic, I got the prices from people actually doing the doubler setup, and as for my rebuilding my 208, you are right but how much would that cost?
    Plus I am getting the 4.3:1 in the Klune V, behind a 2.62:1 in the 208, can you match that with the doubler?
    I know there is a 3:1 in the works, you have to add that to the price and then you will be breaking the bank.
    Anyway to each his own.
    If I wanted more from my 205 setup in my blazer, I will be going with a doubler, but so far I feel I don't need it, because of the torque in my diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

1- a 208 will be more likely to need rebuild and way more pricey to rebuild

2- it will be less strong IMO

3- the range box portions price comparo is for most cheaper for a doubler, there are exceptions to that, mainly if you need a rare 203, still they are $200 when found

rebuilding a 203 range box or 205 TC is simply pull old bearings install new bearings. you can pay an a$$hole a boatload of $ to do it but really shouldnt.