Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes the badest 700r4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rpm35, Nov 20, 2003.

1. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

Who makes the best 700r4. I can get an Art Carr that has a manual valvebody and is said to be good up to 700 HP for $2000. I cannot find any other 700r4's that come near that HP rating. There is also no one in my area that will build a performance OD tranny /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. What do you guys think? Should I go with the Art Carr or is there a better option?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a raptor from PATC right now and its never let me down. Other peeps have had problems with the guys who make them though... so I wouldnt buy one from them again. If I ever have to replace my 700, its either Art Carr or Jet all the way.

j

4. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

I have looked at the level 4 from 700r4.com. It looks like a good tranny. However the Art Carr will be full manual w/ full compression braking and it includes a torque converter built to my specifications for 2,098.68. That also includes shipping. The only bad thing is I will have to wait 3-4 weeks.

I looked at a Jet but they only were good to 450 HP. Do they make a better one than I saw?

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One thing is find out how much your local shops know about 700's and then determine where to go from there. I had mine built by a local shop and they knew what was available and what it took to build a good one. PM me if you'd like to know whats needed for a high power 700.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thats the same link i posted
    " This transmission is for any type high performance / heavy duty use up to 675 horse power."
    from that page /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yep, thats the raptor.. i have a slightly older version of that tranny. I dont doubt that PATC can build a tranny... but some ck5'ers have had problems with them honoring their warranty etc. not good.

j

11. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

TCI that's what I have and I love it Bowtie Overdrives is good too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Art Carr /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I plan on getting a Bowtie Overdrive. A side note on service. I went to their website and wrote in a question about bolting up one of their 700r4's to an NP205. I expected a short e-mail back and that would be it. Not so. Steve from BO not only sent me an extensive e-mail back, he called as well. And, when his e-mail hit my spam blocker, he left a message on my pager that he would mail me hard copies of all the info I needed. I called the number back he left and he spent about 30 min. on the phone with me explaining what they do, analyzing what I planned on doing, and telling me all about 700r4's. I've never received that level of service with any shop other than personal friends shops. He also said that when I get my tranny, they will spend as much time as needed on the phone with me, or send me whatever I need to install it and dial it in. Turns out too that when they build your tranny, all you have to do is tell them it will be bolting up to an NP205 and they then install the shortened shaft so it is a direct bolt up to your TC.

I've also taken the specs for their trannies to several local shops to compare. None of the shops could match their price for what you get and many of the shops looked at the upgrades like they had no clue.

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Thats the same kind of service I've been getting from them for the past month or so. I haven't even bought my tranny from them yet, just a few parts and their install kit so far.

I ordered some speedo drive gears from them and they called me to make sure I was getting the right parts, spent like 20 min on the phone with them going over exactly what I needed to get my truck set up right.

When I emaild them to find out about building a 700 for my burb with the doubler they knew exactly what I needed and said it was nothing for them to get it built to exactly what I needed. I spent over an hour on the phone with Steve that time making sure I was going to get a tranny that would last given the kind of abuse I put it through.

All I can say is they have first rate service, some one else may build a better unit, but it will most likely cost more and you won't get a fraction of the service these guys offer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

thanks for the info guys. I am going to look into every option before I buy. Any other good 700's I should look at.

17. louied

louied Registered Member

how do u rate the raptor? for the price.

18. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Holy post from the Dead. Raptor=No Bueno A search will turn up many poor testimonials.

John

19. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wow, another ancient thread.... how are you new guys finding all these old threads.. :thinking:

i musta missed this one.. nice to hear of the awesome customer service for BTO. that just convinced me i'm making the right choice in going with them... never heard a bad thing about these guys, unlike Raptor and AC... but my AC shifter is :saweet: :woot:

edit/ eh, beat me to it John...:blush:

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status