Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes the best 5:13 gearset?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Feb 26, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I will be upgrading my gears in my 60/14 setup soon and want the most reliable set of 5:13's that I can buy. Thanks.

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I have Precision front and Yukon rear on my D60/14B. I haven't really heard bad things about any particular brand I think its who installs them that's more important. Also buy them from a reputable source in case something happens.

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I just checked with Randy's R&P today. If you have the bigger carrier for the 4.56 and up ratio's (like I do)you have to go with the OEM GM gears, which equals more money /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you have the smaller carrier you can get the thicker Yukon gear set, which is less. Just some FYI if you didn't already know.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Did you get a GM part number's for the gears? I just checked GM's new website and the lowest they go is 4:56.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

No I didn't. I'm going too call my local chevy dealer tomorrow and try and find out what the part number is and see if I can get them cheaper somewhere else. Probably won't be able too though. The guy at Randy's said that the dealerships charge anywhere from 400 to 700 dollars for just the R&P /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif He quoted me like 327.00.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

only problem with running that "thick" gear setup is the pinion becomes the weak link cuz it stays "small"/"thin"

i would go with the new carrier setup just because of the strenght...

oh btw...i think richmond or precision makes a 5.13 gear...i have a buddy that just switched to 5.13s...ill check with him

Later

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    only problem with running that "thick" gear setup is the pinion becomes the weak link cuz it stays "small"/"thin"

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Are you sure about that? I have been under the impression that the difference in the carriers is that place that the ring gear bolts to is closer to where the pinion is in the housing on the sets for the lower gears, to MAKE UP for the fact that the pinion is inherently smaller on the lower gears. So the pinion ends up being the same size regardless of the gear set being thick or regular. The only reason that the gears are thick is to make up for the ring gear seating surface being farther away on the lower series carrier. I'm pretty sure that the pinions are the same size on thick vs. regular... </font>

8. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

For the 60 Ive heard time and time again that Dana Spicer gears are awesome. Thats what Im running in mine. For the rear you might go with American Gear. They are a good quality/price combo. Otherwise, Yukons, Richmonds, etc. are tried and true.

9. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    oh btw...i think richmond or precision makes a 5.13 gear...i have a buddy that just switched to 5.13s...ill check with him

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know that richmond, prcision, yukon etc.etc. make 5.13 gears, but I pretty sure they only make the thick gears and OEM only has the thin gears.

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

when i ordered my gears and locker for my 14b i called drivetrain direct and that is how they explained it to me...

i dont know who to check with to verify but like i said, that was how it was laid out for me

Later

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got my 5:13's from Genuine Gear. For the Dana front, there is no "thick gear" you have to have the right carrier. In the 14 bolt rear, You can do either. I went with that maker because of the lifetime warrenty.