Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes the best kit for frame fixing??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skyetone, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

Sorry I'm kinda new...Its the old c-channel frames. ( /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif toyota /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ) I just welded ratpack7's frame that was broke right in half at the steering box. We now are wanting to get a plate and weld it into the frame for more sapport. I now have a 70 k-5 that I will do the same to BEFORE it breaks. Anyone have company names or writeups on this?
    I know of ORD but it looks a little thin on the weld in kit. The heavy gusset looks nice but does that really solve the problems?

2. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

pictures are always nice too.......

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

run both the weld in kit and the bolt in kit.

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I suspect the weld in kits are all the same, neither one of the two that I've put in (mine and Fox's) fit spectacularly well. The main thing I don't like about them is that when you hold them up to the frame, there is a gap where the bolts go through. That said, without spending a ton of effort on it, its probably the best way available. IMO the bolt on brace is a nice piece (and I run one), but it does not solve the problem by itself, rather, it is a good addition to the weld-in kit. There are some on this site that have cracked the frame after installing the bolt on brace.

AFAIK, the problem is with the '73-'87/'91 trucks, and does not occur in the older ones (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, my brother has a '70).

Steve did a write up when I put his in, try looking on the main page (Here) for a link to it. There's a nice pic of my arm in there to. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Pete

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

No one makes a weld in (or bolt in) steering box brace for a 1st Gen Blazer (69-72). If you look there should be a stiffning plate in there from the factory. I have never heard of a 1st gen breaking where the steering box connects.

If you want to fab something up...go for it.

6. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

who else makes the kits?