Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes the best????

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Yohinan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

I am in the market for a WD hitch and sway control. There are so many companies that make these I cannot decide who's to purchase. Can I get everyones input as to who makes the best WD hitch and sway control or if their is a company that makes a great WD hitch w/built in sway control that would work also. Also please give some information as to why you think the company you recommend has a great product. Also one thing I just remembered is that my Burb is lifted 4" and has 33's. Will that present any kind of a problem with a WD hitch or are their systems that compensate for the rather lengthy drop of my "ball." Thanks for all the help. John

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  2. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

Right now I use a Hidden hitch brand Class V hitch.The class V gives me plenty of strength. It is much cheaper then the Reese Titan which is also a class V but the Reese uses a 2.5 inch reciever which is stronger but requires you to get uncommen 2.5 (and expensive)slide in reciever hitches and pins. I never have used sway control in all the many years of towing. Right now I regularly tow 12k equipment trailers and my 42 foot boat along with lighter loads like fullsize trucks on trailers. I have towed a lot of stuff(most with 6 inch lifted trucks and 35's) and never seemed to need it . My only problem in the past has been that I have broken and bent the factory hitches because I like to put more then the recomended 10 percent tongue weight on the hitch. For me everything seems to tow better with more tongue weight and maybe thats why I don't need a sway control.I do use air bags and only small two inch blocks in the rear.

3. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Right now I have the stock factory hitch that came on the Burb. I have also been reading recently about factory hitches failing. Is it just the later models having this problem (the hitches that are tubular) or are the earlier model years like my 95 that is all squared having the same problems also? I dont want to buy the wd hitch and sway system and then run into a problem of my Burb's stock hitch giving me issues when I am halfway across the country. John

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I use an equal-i-zer (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/home.html) I think it is the best bang for the buck. It is both a weight distributing hitch and a sway control hitch in one. You would likely have to buy and extended drop mount from them but I think it would work with your lift. The tech folks are very helpful -- and It's made in the USA.

I towed a very heavy (way too heavy!!) 16' enclosed trailer 1/2 way accross the US behind my blazer with no sway and a very comfy ride -- it didn't sway without it but would make the back of the truck squirly on the road variations. It also eliminated the push/pull from semis that passed me (often:) )

5. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

I have heard of the Equalizer before due to it incorporating both WD and Sway Control in one, but I thought that the friction control sway design is not the best or am I overworrying on this one? John

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

It is unlike the little add-on friction units used on the chain type weight distribution hitches. It is very effective. Cruise over to www.rv.net and do a search on their forums. That's how I found out about it and I have been very pleased.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status