Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who makes the D60 King Pin Spring Eliminator kits?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Aug 20, 2005.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You know, the ones that replace the King Pin spring with a shim pack.

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've never heard of one of those. There is a guy on Pirate that offers a bearing to replacethe bushing assembly but it requires a custom knuckle to run it.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

WFO Concepts.

Not 100% sure why anyone would want to eliminate the spring though... I mean really, they only need to be replaced every 20 years or so and they are relatively cheap too. Not like its a $pendy super duty unit bearing wearing out every 10,000 miles or something...

j

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I checked WFOs site, didn't see it, but I'll call Trevor.
    My Death Wobble problem is coming back on my unlifted, daily driver with 33 x 12.50 radials. I've replaced absolutly everything axle and steering wise, time to try something different. I'll try removing the the king pin springs first ... next I'll try a steering ram.

Kind of an extensive repair for such a problem, but this is getting rediculous.

Thanks,

Eric M.

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The rebuild kits are about 30$ per side then I put shims in there and it works great

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

If you're talking the stock rebuild kits with the spring and bushing, I've done that. And the shim on top of the spring to make it just a bit tighter.

Thanks,

Eric M.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it requires more maintence but any deflection caused by the spring is eliminated. Thats why people would run them. I won't buy the WFO arms. He charges more for the same arm with LESS work done to them. IMO they should cost less. No one makes a kit to my knowledge, just arms that work with this setup.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the elim kit is most likly best for off road use as it needs more checking over time. in a dd it would need to be checked at such a time period that it wouldnt be worth it. the spring keeps it tight and also controls the bushing on the king pin as it wears out. have you checked the box for excess play and also you can tighten it. you might be getting box slop up to you at the wheel. and have you replaced the king pin it self? just a few ideas for ya.

10. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

That's what I'm looking for ... except, no crossover steering. I'll have to give them a call and see what they can do with a stock steering set up, I doubt anything, but I'll ask. As far as checking the shims from time to time, it really isn't that much work to pop one of those caps off. The teflon bushing isn't going to wear any faster than with a stock set up .... I don't think I'll be checking it any more often than changing my tranny fluid. I don't think I'd even bother checking until I felt the Wobbles coming back, then I'd know it was time to add shims. This may all be irrelevant if they don't make anything for a stock steering set up. You can't run crossover with stock springs.

Maybe I'll just have to go for the ram first. How is a ram going to look on a unlifted, daily driver w/ 33s ....people are gonna point and laugh! Better than pointing and screaming as I death woddle down the street.

And yes, I've checked and replaced about everything steering related ... some stuff twice!

Thanks,

Eric M.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

have you replaced the kingpin itself? how about the lower kingpin parts?

j

12. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I had a Bad death wobble in my 81 Crew cab and I replaced everything that was serviceable and it wouldn't get any better. I finally changed the front leaf springs and presto it was gone. the PO had a BIG goose neck trailer and i think the constant weight killed the stock springs. when i droped the axle off of the springs, the springs were slightly "S" shaped and not the same side to side. with the axle installed and bearing weight, they looked normal. just stumbled on to this when installing a lift kit. Might be worth a look, only costs a little time, and i never had a shake again afterwards

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You might be onto something. I haven't replaced the springs and mine are worn. I added a zero rate to keep the truck level. I didn't change them because I liked the softer ride I got with the old springs! Maybe I'll give that a try.

Thanks,

Eric M.

14. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

toyota axles run bearingss on both kingpins and those suckers last forever. I don't see why they would be bad on a D60.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There is really no reason you should be having issues with the stock upper kingpin setup with only 33" tires, especially since you say it's been rebuilt and has added shims. Most people on here have cured upper kingpin related DW with much bigger tires by using that trick, including myself.

If you are absolutely positive the kingpins are in good shape than I would start looking elsewhere. My first thought would go towards the leaf springs since you stated they had not been replaced..........how are the bushings? Also with the zero rate, have you double checked to make sure they are properly seated on the spring pads and the u-bolts are still tight?

16. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the caster recently? Depending on leafspring design and how they bend you caster will cange as they droop. Not having enough caster reduces the return to center and can give you death wobble. If the springs are very soft and you have a block in there (extra leverage) under braking I bet you could easly twist the springs enough to get to zero caster and have no return to center...

ROB

17. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

That could be it. The wobbles only happen under braking. I'll have to get new springs.

I'll post up when I do, right now I have a few other cars and trucks lined up in the driveway needs some attention first.

Eric M.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Hydro assist on stock style steering? I guess it could be alright for no offroading, but if you flex up at all, I wouldn't consider it. Search around, its been discussed(using hydro assist with stock style steering).

19. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

under braking ? have you checked for broken or cracked brake rotors or drums. if the wobble is felt from the steering wheel its in the front. if in the pedel and floor or seat its the back. also it is possible but not to comon with the thick 60 rotors to be warped but check run out with a dial indicator with the tire off. no more than .003-.005" alowed.

20. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

In a typical "a little's good, alot must be better" thinking; I added two shims (washers) to my king pins. This induced a drag on the steering that caused the Jimmy to wander all over the road at speed. :doah:

In the words of a previous commander "Don't be stupid" :D