Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who makes weld in frame plates?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RockinChevy, Nov 15, 2006.

1. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Who makes weld-in frame plates, for areas other than the steering box location?
    I have a crack at the upper rear shock mount (stock location, passenger side) and it's getting longer. Right now the crack is 3 inches long and about 1/8 wide. Does anybody know where I can purchase the plate from so I can have someone weld it in for me?
    If the frame was straight, it would be easy to just weld in a flate plate. If you guys look at your stock shock mount, you'll see the frame curves in to make clearance for the shock to mount up.

Chevy shops want $600 for 3 hours of fabbing and 10 hours of welding. No way I'm letting them weld for 10 hours, even let alone weld for 2 hours and f**k around for 8 more hours. They told me to check around, they've heard of places that fab the plates but couldn't name one....

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you get a flat plate, then tack weld it top and bottom to the outside of the frame, then you can heat it with a torch and bend it around the curve, tack welding as you go.

Other than that, just v-out the crack and weld it together. It's generally a pretty low-stress area, so it shouldn't need a ton of reinforcement.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A local steel yard sells cage floor plates (they have 3x3 and 4x4") for hella cheap... I just use them. I don't deal with bends, but a torch + some giant crescent wrenches could bend them to fit simple curves.

j

4. RockinChevy

v-out? what's that???

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Grinding out the crack at a 45° angle so the weld penetrates better.

6. RockinChevy

I don't care much for that bend in that spot, I'm never mounting shocks in that location. I wouldn't mind if that bolt hole was covered up. I already have the DIY inboarding shock crossmember installed and shocks back on.

I just want the cheapest method (which I originally thought would be buying weld in plates) and get it welded and done for. I haven't 4wheeled since the first week of October and I got the itch to wheel again since AZ weather is nice.

7. RockinChevy

Ahhhh got it. :thumb: Thanks for the clear up.

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Well, crap... in that case, just cut out the bend and weld in a flat plate.

But I honestly think that if you drill a hole at the end of the crack, V it out and weld up both the crack and the shock hole, you'll probably never have another problem with it.

9. RockinChevy

So you're saying a plate won't really be necessary?

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

'Zactly.

11. RockinChevy

:thinking: ..... not a bad idea. I'll check around for a welder and git-er-done.

Thanks goldwing!

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Any time! :D

13. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I would plate it anyway. There is a reason it cracked in the first place. It doesnt have to be a huge plate or cover the entire area but plate it. Drilling the hole will stop the crack, the V will allow for good penetration and you should be golden.

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Well, it cracked in the first place because the shock was there. If he welds up the crack AND the shock hole, it should take care of it.

Welding a plate definitely wouldn't hurt but $600 seems a bit spendy.

15. spoolnaround

A plate to me is a pice of flat stock 4" X6", hell even 3"X4". Im just not a fan of having to do stuff more than once.

16. RockinChevy

The crack came from the heavy compression load from jumping my Blazer 4 feet in the air at that wash with the chewed up bank from the heavy rains.

Both top mounts are ripped from the frame. This is the only visible crack I see that is growing longer little by little... so I talked around and they all said plate it, but I guess they didn't know I won't be using that same location anymore.

17. spoolnaround

Ahhh, didnt anyone tell you Blazers arent made to jump :D . Your insane!

18. RockinChevy

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Well, it wasn't meant to be. I thought I knew the trail too well and just punched right through.... not good when I got beer with me!