Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who misses diesel suburbans?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AgDieseler, Jun 20, 2005.

1. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Word on the street (fairly credible) is that the 2008 model year will offer suburbans and yukons with a diesel option.

I look forward to seeing what powertrain, drivetrain, and suspension options will be offered - not to mention what the new GMT900 platform will look like! :D

2. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

MEEEEE, Im lookin now for a burb. Just found out we have twins on the way.
    Already have a 3 year old!!
    So 99 is the last year??

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

you might have seen this before, but you can make your own :D

clicky

[​IMG]

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I recall reading a few years back that some heavy from GM, responding to numerous pleas from consumers, said their market research indicated that there wasn't enough demand for a DMax 'Burb to justify production. At the time, I was wondering just what market they were researching... villages in Bangladesh or something?!
    Maybe GM finally received enough letters from consumers to wake up and smell themselves and realize they can sell a lot of DMax 'Burbs...

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

It will only run you about 65k for a Duramax Suburban with an Allison and it will still have the outdated uncomfortable interior that the current ones have.

Oh that Envoy XUV was a big seller :rolleyes: and the quadrasteer was too :rolleyes: (both getting canned). I wanted to run out and buy one of each after seeing those multimillion dollar infomercials that GM made...what a joke.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I honestly doubt there is much demand for a Dmax burb. My dad has a burb and would love to update to a dmax burb if one was available....but instead we looked at some Excursions with the 7.3 and 6.0 PSD. They are VERY hard to find. If there was such a demand for diesel powered full size SUV's I would think there would be a lot more PSD powered Excursions out there instead of the 5.4L V8 that almost all have.

I'm not suprised, most women don't wan't a diesel, nor do they care much to learn much about them(besides them being stinky and loud) and want the quiet gas engine. Lets face it, the majority of Tahoe, Burb, and Excursion drivers are female(which is fine, my GF wants a burb when we have kids). THats what I've seen anyway. Not to mention the already high cost of today's fullsize SUV's but tacking on the extra amount for a Dmax and Alli and thats getting close to 60K.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Hell, out here in oregon, those diesel powered excursions are all over the place :dunno:

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Same with Illinois. Hell, there are 2 people on my block that have them, they seem to sell a good number of them arround here, i see them everywhere. And i know a few people who have said they would have bought a burb over the ford, if only GM offered a diesel in them.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I personally know of 5 different, non-related people in my local area who could and would pay whatever GM charged (within reason, of course) for a DMax/Alli 'Burb. All have multiple kids, and all have towed toys (boats, campers, trucks, bikes & quads, etc.). Even the biggest 4-door fullsize pickup is gonna get crowded inside if you've got more than 2 kids and a spouse along for the ride...
    I can also tell you from experience that a new 'Burb rides FAR smoother than an Excursion. That counts for a lot among most of the target consumers.
    I see a lot more PSD and V10 emblems on Excursions than not.

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

One of the major reasons people would not buy a diesel burb, is the current cost per gallon.

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Whats the difference between a diesel burb and a diesel excursion, diesel truck in which you see all over the roads now a days. Over here, I see about a 40%/60% diesel/gas on the roads. So I don't think the price of gas is scaring off people from buying them.

12. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is a niche market for diesel powered SUVs, and it's a growing, profitable one. Also consider that most of the consumers in this market are willing to pay a premium to get what they want. That said, I believe that we gearheads are a minority in this target market, and those who will put down the cash required for such a toy more closely follow the profile of the soccer mom crowd. That's fine.

I'll be looking for a used one a few years later; letting some other well-to-do individual take the initial depreciation hit.

I'm glad GM finally had the sense to put such a winning engine and transmission combination under an awesome body style. It's an introduction that is long overdue, and I look forward to seeing it.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I don't know, the quantity and popularity of a certain vehicle could be higher and lower in different areas. I know that when we were looking into diesel Excursions they were hard to find, but tons of them had the 5.4L.

To the guy that said a burb rides better than an Excursion,

Duh, The Excursions are 3/4T vehicles with a strait D60 if it's 4wd. The Burb has soccer mom IFS, and is available in a 1/2T, which is most common. :D

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm quite well aware of what running gear an Excursion has; I've got over 3k miles of road time in both 2wd and 4wd Excursions (both V10s). You'll note that I didn't specify 4wd vs. 2wd - I thought it would be obvious that comparing SFA to IFS ride quality would be comparing apples to oranges. Obviously, I thought wrong.

15. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The point I was trying to make was, when a soccer mom pulls into the station to get fuel and see's regular at $1.95 and diesel at $2.25, she would rather pay $1.95 no matter what instead of $2.25...especially when filling a 30-40 gallon fuel tank.

How many "new" diesel SUV's do you see on the road? Excursions are selling so well that 2005 is the last year they are being made and they were the last of the fullsize SUV's with a diesel engine.

Another issue with the newer diesel engines is that they are making almost twice the power they were 10 years ago and the mileage has really been affected. My 1993 F250 with the 7.3 IDI diesel gets around 21mpg on the highway, I would love to see any of the new diesels get that with 4.10 axle ratio's.

The only way I see a diesel being a big seller in a fullsize SUV would be if the truck would get at least 25-30mpg on the highway.

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As I understood it, Ford decided to drop the Excursion due to pressure from the treehuggers. Plus, it was bringing their CAFE numbers down so the Feds were riding their collective asses.
    Again, that's how I understood it. I could be way off base; it's not like I'm a Ford lover and keep track of these things...