Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who needs a friggin tow rig when.......

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by gzzgfw, Dec 3, 2004.

1. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

when you have a friend with a flatbed!
    On the way down to Southern Indiana.........Not an inch to spare.....
    [​IMG]

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

To be completely and 100% honest, that is the reason i am looking to get my CDL. Either go that route or a 24' tow truck with a flatbed, that way i wouldnt need a trailer.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have 14 trucks and 6 48' spread axle flats. My dad would charge me too much to haul my blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

I've seen some pretty cheap tractors rigs compared to newer diesel p/u's. I wonder how much insureance is for a tractor rig with a flat bed trailer? Getting a CDL sounds like a good idea. If a guy had two or three friends that wheeled alot and could split the cost that would be ideal. The problem for most is where to park it. Having several acres isn't a problem but I can hear the homeowners association bitching now!

But on the other hand, these newer pu's can haul two maybe three rigs pending type of trailer.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Thats why i was looking at them. You can haul 4 short wheelbase rigs pretty easily on a 53' flatbed, and if you get 4 guys to split the fuel costs, it would make longer club trips pretty nice. Storing could be a problem, but im sure it could be worked out. And used tractors really arent that much money when you price out a loaded Crew Cab D-max. I know they are a lot more expensive to maintain, but i think it would be worth it, if like you said, you have a lot of buddies who wheel a lot.

There are even a lot of flatbed tow trucks that are under 26K GVRW, so you dont even need a CDL. A 24' flated fits two jeeps easily, or one fullsize with room to spare.

Yes, newer trucks are capable of it, but you still need to have them properly plated and you have to be licensed for it depending on how much weight you are hauling. I know my buddy who hauls 2 rigs on a 25' goose had to upgrade his plates after he got pulled over and was overweight. Its a BIG goose, they use it for moving farm equipment.