Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who ownes a Dodge Turbo Cummins Diesel 3500/2500 Tow Rig???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by therobzilla, Mar 7, 2004.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

OK Guys,

Here is the ticket, I'm going to by a new to me/used tow rig and I got Cummins in my blood, drove one home for a day last week, 98 5 speed stick, 24 valve turbo, extended cab, DRW..... I'm now but by the diesel feel and ride. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I can't get over the ride, 18 MPG around towing, and 22 around town, and all the power your right foot can dish out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.

But, I have been doing some searching on the CTD board, and they have some issue need to keep eye out for, so here is my question.

Who owns one, and what do you think?? Like dislike? Have you had any major problem with it???

Post up, want to hear what you have to say.

I'm not intrested in a Duramax or a Powerstroke, just the cummins.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

if you plan on making mods for power.. i hear the 12 valves are less spendy in that department.. which were available before mid year 98..

3. therobzilla

Yea that's what I read also. The 98.5 still had the 12 valve motor but they are a bear to find used, without 350K miles on them..

I'm keeping my eye out for one.

Rob

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not intrested in a Duramax

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, that's your first mistake... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My roomie has a 1998.5 24-valve 3500 4x4. He had a 1997 3500 12V and he thought the 12V had more balls from the factory.

But on his 1998.5, He has nair a problem...His Dana 80's pinion bearing went bad at 30,000 miles and the entire axle was replaced under warranty. He has injectors and an a box, EGT gauge, boost gauge, and oil temp gauge in his A-pillar.

His truck as 106,000 miles on it now. At 104,000 the 5-th gear nut fell off in the NV4500 and he lost 5th gear..We fixed that in a weekend.

The only other problems he has had is the crankshaft sensor went out and caused a strange no-start, intermitent stalling condition. and the factory light swithcs burn up easily.

The injecotrs and box REALLY woke his up...I couldn't believe the difference between the "bombed" motor and the stock motor...

Chris

6. therobzilla

Thanks Chris,

I heard about he 5th gear nut comming loose, quick easy fix, and the bombing on the 12 valve is deamed to be much easier, but you are right they are pretty much bid dog motors expecially after the bombs..

I appreciate your comments, thanks for the input.

Anyone else......

Rob

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, I'm currently looking for a 94-98 12 valve 3500 Dually for a new daily driver/tow rig, but like you said, hard to find...

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If I could afford it I would get myself a cummins 12V rig to drive and tow but yeah I can't.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

My father-in-law has a '92 3/4 single cab 4x4. That thing was a monster before he had some 'work' done to it. Now it's just plain bada**...................

He's had a couple of problems. Auto tranny (bad knees) so he's had to get a new one. A few months ago, he had to get a new gasket somewhere on the front of the engine. $60 part, $600 worth of labor cause they had to take the engine down about halfway. Single cab, louder than a freight train on 'roids. But I'd get it in a heart beat.

Like willyswanter said, finding a diesel out here in CA for a reasonable price is impossible. I was looking for one myself until the move became reality, so I will wait until I can find one for cheap down in Texas........... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mid and early 90 autos are known to go out like 700R4s.

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah dodge auto's in general are worthless. It's manual all the way behind any cummins I buy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Who knows, maybe I'll swap the spare allison I have in the garage into it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. therobzilla

Yea, the autos in the Dodges are $hit, Ive had 4 in my 1500 all under warrantee. Still a box of $hit as far as I'm concerned. The only way is the Manual!!! Besides if you are going to own a Dually ya gotta have a stick man!!!!

Brings on the real feeling of a "Diesel Truck".... HA!!

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah dodge auto's in general are worthless. It's manual all the way behind any cummins I buy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Who knows, maybe I'll swap the spare allison I have in the garage into it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. His survives only because when he tows the fifth wheel, he only tows it for about 20 miles at a time a couple of times a year. I will get a manual when the time comes since it will see harsh duty hauling my fat a** around the countryside.............. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have got a 2002 CTD H.O. with a NVG-5600 6-spd as a D/D and a pull truck . I searched LOOOOONNNNGGGG and hard before I decided on what to get . I looked at all that the "Big Three" had to offer and I ended up going with the motor & tranny combo that had the most to offer me .
    I agree with the 12V motor comments and I like the 12v motors for there reliabilty and ease of upgrades but I wanted a "NEW" truck so I decided on a 24V ISB Cummins .
    The only problems that I have had has been the lift pump that feeds the Bosch VP44 Injector Pump . I have replaced it 3 times in fifty thousand miles but other than that I have been very pleased with the truck . I was not a Dodge guy , and I am still not , but I really love the ISB/NV5600 combo and would not trade my truck for what is offered by GM and Ford at this time .
    As far as pulling power just hook up to something REAL heavy and enjoy the sound of the motor pulling hard - no worries about over taxing the drivetrain .....

All in all I have NO regrets ordering my BR2500 Dodge CTD truck . I have respect for all that the Big Three have to offer but my choice was and still is the Cummins and the six speed combo !
    Good luck in your search for a pull rig - any questions feel free to ask . Tom /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

TARussell has an 02 2500 CTD HO 4x4, it is BADA$$!! This thing is bone stock and it pulled my crew cab to Indy like it wasn't even there. I'm sure he (Tom) will see this and respond, you need to talk to him - he speaks this subject FLUENTLY. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif He studied all 3 big name diesels for 3 years before buying his.

16. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I forgot to answer some of your questions -
    I get 19 mpg in town with 4.10 gears and 16/18 while towing consistantly .
    The ride height is GREAT for looking down the road and seeing in traffic . The 4 wheel disc's are beautiful and very effective .
    The spring rates are fairly firm but do-able .Mine has the Snow Plow Prep Package / Campaer Special options so it has healthy springs all the way around but it is nothing that you can't live with .
    As far as towing goes I have NO COMPLAINTS what so ever !
    I am real happy with this truck - it has lived up to all the reasons that I bought it for . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

18. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I see Tom has answered, I new he wouldn't miss out on this subject. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Here is a pic of Tom's truck the day we left for Indy, like I said it pulled my truck like it wasn't there AND STILL GOT TWICE THE MILEAGE I DO. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[​IMG]
    '02 BR2500 HO CTD 6spd w/ 4.10's /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Edit: TRUST ME and PM/call/smoke signal Tom, he is a WEALTH of info on this subject (no offense to other members, I just know Tom personally)

19. therobzilla

Tom,

Thanks for the reply, I would like to talk with you via phone, on my dime when you get a chance, drop me a pm and let me know what time is good for you. I have some detailed question that I want to ask you.

Everyone else, I still want to hear what you have to say keep posting up you experiences.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
    Rob

20. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my dad has a 99' 2500 with an auto. no problems so far. absolutly loves it.i think its got like 120K. a guy we work with has a 95' and loves it too. i remember them saying that you have to upgrade to heavier springs on the 12v when doing some mod, but the 24v already has the stronger springs. cant remember which upgrade needs heavier springs.