Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who owns/has driven/has an opinion on the newer Toyota Tacomas?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by heavy4x4, Dec 3, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just curious. I have not driven one yet, but I'm going to test drive one some time soon. It's not going to happen now, but hopefully within two years or so, I should have one. This is what I'm looking for: extended cab or regular (not supercab - no bed space), V6, 5 speed manual, 4x4 of course, SR5 package stuff, in the 96-99 year range. I just really like the looks of these vehicles and the gas friendly V6 and manual sounds really attractive to me. Also, if I were to buy a new one from the dealer - it would definitely have the locking rear differential option. So, if you own a truck like this, or have driven one...let me know what you think. I'd probably keep it mostly stock - with the exception of a trailer hitch for towing a small trailer and atv (that's another purchase for even later on)

Like this one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

2. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

My g/f had a 99'. We loved driving that thing around. Felt like a cadillac compared to my junk. Just a little small inside. Handled real well on the freeway for a truck. I would go with a Taco truck over any other truck of that size! Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well not sure this helps but I lifted and supercharged one of my co workers '97 xtra cab. I didn't drive it before but after it was OK to drive. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seemed to have enough room and all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses so far...keep 'um coming. If I buy one, I want to know it's the right truck for me. (Dang...these things are expensive for their size/options...even used ones /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That's because it's a TOYOTA
    They have a great reputation for being durable no matter what model, and you know it's all offer and demand.

6. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

i've riden in one alot, one of my good friends has one and he always drives.(im the only other one thats 16 yet, but dont have my liscense) i drove it once, pretty nice. good acceleration, smooth ride. its the ext cab, and we have had 5 grown size guys in it. we take it off-road, little rough bein its stock, but not bad. well, jsut my input for ya.

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I had a Pre-Tacoma pickup and I loved it. It is kinda small inside but I never had a lick of problems with it. I had the 3.0 V6 that left alot to be desired but it did get the job done. The only thing I didn't like about my truck was the Monthly note /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif and the way it wrecked. Since I have a 72 blazer now I've been thinking of selling my 91 and getting another 94 or so for daily driving.

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

for a street truck they're actually really nice...
    but make sure you get an extended cab, i had a friend with a regular cab for about a year before he traded it in on an extended cab, they have small interiors to begin with, the regular cab just doesnt leave any room to keep random junk inside..
    the resale value is pretty good too, not like buying an econo american car and having it lose its value faster than you can make the payments..

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks everybody. All good info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think I'll have to look into a Tacoma more seriously /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif