Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who removed their clear coat of their rims...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What did you use to remove it? I was told to us Sulfuric Acid (pool acid). Anyone try it? How did it work? Any sugestions?

2. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

never done it myself, but i have heard aircraft stripper stuff works

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yep aircraft stripper works great.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've used rocks to take mine off...

5. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

illinois salt for 15 years works

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do youu mean the factory wheels? If so, I accidently removed mine many years ago with a pressure washer too close to them.

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

aviation stripper or plastic media blast.... one is messy and fairly cheap... the other a little more expensive,,, if you are going to coat the wheels again media leaves no residue to wash off,,, should be able to get them blasted for under 50 bucks... less if the same people are going to re coat them

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dont use acid!...

I tried using Muriatic Acid to clean dingy aluminum mags I had once..they started SMOKING after I applied the acid!..when I hosed them off,they were black as charcoal,and I could hear them making a crackling noise like rice crispies!..they never broke or anything,but I never trusted them either...had them glass beaded at work not long after--they had marks that resembled chains all over them..!.I suspect sulfiric acid is as bad or worse!..I'd just use paint stripper or glass bead them to get the clear coat off..New England salt removes it in a year or two here..

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

a few years ago, i stripped the clearcoat off the factory aluminum allow wheels on my 94 c1500. i used a product from walmart called, "dad's easy spray". it comes in a metal can, and includes a spray bottle. it sprays fast and evenly, and sticks well since it's a gel, so you don't have to pull the wheel off. once it bubbles up the finish, just wipe it off, then rinse. didn't hurt my wheels at all and they look great.

it doesn't hurt tires if you wipe it off promptly, but if you get it on your skin, it burns like hell in about 10 seconds. so, some latex gloves and long sleeves are a good idea.

10. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Oven cleaner. No joke.

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Oven cleaner works great on anything but aluminum surfaces(oxidizes and pits the aluminum)..... Aircraft paint stripper does the trick.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Just let the guys at the tire shop crimp those little weights on them. The crimps do a great job at breaking the clear coat and the as the oxidation progresses across the wheel, more and more clear coat comes off.:rolleyes:

Seriously, though, clear coat is paint. So remove it like you would other kinds of paint. Just make sure you replace it later.

13. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I used aircraft stripper polished them and then recleared my rims when i painted mine they look ten times better than before i even had people think they were brand new

14. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

+1 on oven cleaner.

15. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Isn't the brand EZ Oven Cleaner? I'm pretty sure that is the stuff. I have plans for the wheels on the truck. I have stock wheels with a polished lip, and I'd like to paint the inners black and leave the lip polished. I like the DupliColor wheel paint...I used silver on a set of wheels for the Porsche (3 were unpolished aluminum, 1 polished) once and the paint seemed pretty decent. It had lots of metal flake and seemed to spray on pretty thick without runs. All I did was 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear. They looked good.

16. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I used a spray can paint stripper on my '86 Vette wheels. FWIW they're buffed and polished; no clear coat now (clear coat won't stick anymore :eek1: ).

If you have aluminum wheels that are heavily pitted I've had good results just glass beading them, then clear coating. 'Results in a neat cast surface - looks interesting and is quick & easy. A friend did his SAAB rims this way and I did my old BMW motorcyle rims too.