Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who rides a motorcycle here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cochino12, May 2, 2004.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

I am going to be buying a motorcycle soon and wonder if you guys have any opinions on what bike you like or dislike. I am looking for an inexpensive cruiser for around $4500, I know a most everyone likes Harley but this is my first street bike and cant afford one yet anyway. I have been looking at v-stars, they seem to be pretty inexpensive but I still don't know too much about them. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

With limited knowledge, a cheap Jap bike is probably a good choice. Heck, just down the street from me, there are 2 Yamaha's for sale, 200 ea or 300 for the pair....

I have a '71 Sportster, raked and stretched....Definately not a beginners bike. Gotta love them old Ironheads /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

What? Can't afford a Harley for $4500??? You can get Sportsters all day long for $3,000

4. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What? Can't afford a Harley for $4500??? You can get Sportsters all day long for $3,000

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but how reliable is a $3k Harley. I'm just looking to save some money on gas, I dont really want a project.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd like to ride, oddly enough I was just surfing ebay looking for a bike before I came over to CK5.

I have a line on an '86 Kawa Vulcan 750 that's in pristine condition with low miles that I want to get, just don't have the cash and wife approval.
    If you can transport it from New Jersey, I can hook you up with the guy. He only wants $1k, and I've been told that's a pretty good price for this bike.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How experenced of a rider are you ?? I learned on a Kawie 440. Good little street bike, and way cheap used.

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

ok... first question: have you ridden before?
    If yes, then how long ago?

If no... I would suggest going out and getting yourself a fairly inexpensive and decent sized bike. Nothing bigger than a 750. If you can find a Virago 535 that would probably be your very best bet. They have decent resale, you can find them fairly cheap (buddy just bought a 1993 virago 535 for 1400.00 and its VERY nice). You have to figure that you are more than likely to lay whatever bike you get down... you dont want to blow 4k on a bike that you are going to lay down on accident in your driveway or worse, on the street by just being out of practice. You dont want anything bigger than a 750 (argue all you want but remember, some of the fastest street bikes are 600's)

you probably wont keep your first bike more than a year or two at the most, so you want something that will be reliable and have decent resale.

** flame on **

I would NOT suggest a Harley if you are just starting out or if you havent ridden a cruiser or if you havent ridden for a while. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to drop the kind of money that a Harley (even an older one) will cost for a bike that you are more than likely to lay down or sell in a year or two. Once you get into the Cruiser habits and get used to the bikes and the way they handle you can consider getting a Harley... but again, there is no reason at all to spend 4k on a bike (Harley or not) that you will probably lay down.

The last statement on this thread I will make is this... There are two kinds of riders, those that have laid a bike down and those that havent yet. Every rider that has been in the saddle for any length of time can tell you a story of "I almost had to ..." Its not that you or they are bad riders or are foolish or anything else. Cars/Trucks dont pay attention, weather conditions change... hell, I almost lost my head completely to a f-ing crow that fit me full in the facemask at 35... a 3 pound bird hitting you in the face at 35 is not exactly something you can account for...

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have 3 Harley's right now.... I worked up to it though... Someone suggested getting a Virago, good choice. I started with a Virago 1000 and put almost 70,000 miles on it without spending a dime on it beside routine maintenance and fuel.

Best piece of advice I have is watch out for the cages making left turns.

Ciao'
    John

9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I have a '03 Yamaha V-Star 1100. I ride about 5,000 miles a year for work and pleasure. I like it's long & long design. It is very comfortable. You could find a used V-Star 650 in your price range. Any particular questions, shoot me a PM.
    Here's a pic of my bike!

10. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Well, not quit the kind of bike you are thinking about, but i live my KLR 650. Kind of like the K5 of the motorcycle world. Does just about anything. It is a dual sport/enduro type creature. Not for the image consious though. Pretty ugly bike, an aquired taste I /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif guess!

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Ditto that on the KLR650. I have an 04 and love it
    [​IMG]

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i say get what you like,just don't start out to small.or you may be stuck with a slug for awhile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. my wife is buying us both HARLEYS this year /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif my friend dustin bought a 600 yzf and a month later he traded it in on the 1000. so he lost money. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. boggerless

sorry VFR. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif i'm excited about the HD. i just found out tonight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i say get what you like,just don't start out to small.or you may be stuck with a slug for awhile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. my wife is buying us both HARLEYS this year /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have decided to get a v-star 650, it looks like the most bike for the money I have. Very cool about the Harley, what kind are you getting?

15. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I have a 78' KZ400 I picked up for $50. I put about $100 dollars into it and it runs like a champ. Im thinking about putting a turbo on it while spending a minimal amount of cash, we'll see /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. boggerless

i'm not sure a springer or a heratige.she wants a sportster,i told her maybe a lowrider or a wide glide. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif