Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs 8" lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JUNIOR-K5, Mar 31, 2006.

1. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

I just want to know who runs 8" of lift and have no problems.I am in the process of getting 56" springs for the rear.They are tc 4" springs and I plan on running dyi4x shackle flip with 6" shackles for proper angle.Also what kind of front springs would you guys recommend.I notice that tc only makes up to 6".I read another post asking about 56" springs and I also asked about it but I want to know about 8" lift draw backs.I was told I would have problems with my front diff. with 8" of lift.Thanks.

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Check to make sure your pinion angles are okay. Driveshaft lengths will likely need to be changed, brake lines, etc. Im not sure why the front diff specifically would give problems, unless the pinion is wrong, or you try putting blocks up front etc.

Other companies make 8" lift springs, such as skyjacker. Or you could get extended shackles. Im building my truck with 8" springs all-around, if I had it to do over again Id do the shackle flip/extension with smaller springs.

3. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

you said you could get extended shackles. do you by any chance know where you can get sum that will raise it an extra 2 inches?

4. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

I know other brands make 8" springs.I got a quote on some superlift softride springs.I just wanted to hear of any recomendations.On the extended shackles you mean for front right.

5. 88-3/4t-bad boy

yeah. im planning on buying a 4" shackle flip kit for the rear to lift the rear 8" with my 4" 56 leafs. but i need about two inches of lift in the front and i spent all my money on the 6" lift and spring break parties. Buyers remorse is a pain in the a$$.

6. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You don't wanna do that. Keep in mind that for every inch longer that your shackle is, your lift height is effectively 1/2 " higher. Of course, this all depends on shackle angle but it's a good way to approximate things. If you wanted to get two inches lift from your front shackle alone, you would need an 8" plus shackle- all kinds of problems. Throw in a zero rate and make some 6" shackles out of 3/8 steel.

7. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

On my K20, I run a ORD shackle flip/4 inch block in the rear and 8 inch Supersuck springs in the front, been that way for about 2.5 years now. Heavy duty front shackles are a good thing to consider, ditch the swaybar, it doesn't make a difference when your truck is that high. DONT BUY SUPERLIFT, get BDS or Skyjacker, I already had a set of superlift springs replaced on warranty, 2 superlift centerpins have broken and they are really stiff springs that sag like hell.. You will need new brake hoses, lengthen the rear shaft, get a high angle front shaft. I run a drop pitman arm and raised steering arm for steering correction. My 35x12.5's on 17 inch rims with 4.5 backspacing still rub the lower rear corner of the front fenders. That is all that I can think of right now, I love my setup, but am switching to BDS springs with a Zero Rate sometime soon.

8. 88-3/4t-bad boy

ya. ive been looking around and i think what i will do for the front is get the zero rates and get the daystar greasable shackles. the shackles claim to rais it about an inch and a half and the zero rates make up the other inch. just dont really want to go through the hassle of selling my front leafs and buying 8" ones for more. i already bought a rough country lift and it does alrite. no problems yet. i just want a 8" to fit some 38's or 39's for a lil bit better traction in the mud. but that really doesnt matter since this drought hit coastal texas.

9. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

If you just want another inch or two for tire clearance, there's always the body lift option (yes yes, I know lol... but its only a cpl inches for a mud bogger it sounds like). Keep us posted. :)

10. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

got a 12 inch lift on one of my trucks , no problems suprisingly. i think you will be ok with 8 :o

11. 85gmcOD

85gmcOD Registered Member

i have a 85 3/4 ton pickup wit a skyjacker 8 inch kit... i hve the 6 in springs in the rear and took a leaf out for a little better flex.. also a 2 1/2 shacle flip and 6 inch shackles... havent got the truk on the trail yet so have no real input on what works and what doesnt... im in the process of gettin a cv shaft from had.. and i rolled the rear to match the pinion angle... and the front is a 8in spring and zero rates moved up 1 1/2 and shackels.. trying to fit 44 in boggers too

12. mundosk5

mundosk5 Registered Member

13. 85gmcOD

85gmcOD Registered Member

?

whats ttt mean.. haha i dont kno i could just be retarted thanks

14. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

To The Top

15. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The turnip tally.

16. Big Ol'Chevy

Big Ol'Chevy Registered Member

Skyjacker soft ride springs aren't cheap, but I think they are the best ones on the market. I have heard that BDS springs are real good, but I have never tried them, plus they are more expensive than Skyjacker.

17. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

8" lift, all springs...one thing to say....ain't enough...here comes 10"!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great ride, no wander, soft as can be, rides like a cadillac!

Manny

18. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Manny- Didn't realize until now that your rig's a longbed. Longbeds rock!