Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs a 396BB?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I'm buying one for my hubby, to put in his K20. It's a '67 or '68 with appx 15,000 miles on a rebuild. 427 heads, intake mildly ported. Needs carb. Sitting for 3 years. Bolted to TH400 tranny with 15,000 on rebuild, and NP203. On a rolling chassis, 3/4 ton drivetrain. Missing rear driveshaft. Axles are D44/14 bolt (don't know SF or FF yet) with 3:73's and a posi rear. I'm taking the axles, since they are the same thing hub already has. $1500 for the whole package. What do ya think? Carb suggestions? Pleased with your 396?

Thanks!

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Questions about a 396 -- you might want to go read some chevelle message forums. Just a thought. That's where you'll find most 396s - in a muscle car/hot rod application.

3. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

My buddy runs a fully built 396 with a Holley double pumper on top. I rode with him once and we were doin about 20 mph and he hit it, smoking the rear tires, they caught up, and then when the th350 shifted it broke 'em loose again. I don't know what CFM it is though, but it seemed to run just fine.

4. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

<font color="green"> Greg72 </font color> has a 396 i believe.... He may be able to get you pointed in the right direction. Can't wait to hear that baby rumble. Will Trev's face be like /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif or /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif or /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif when he sees it ??? I think option 3.

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a 396 in my Crew Cab and it has plenty of power. It's not that great on hills or for towing with 40" tires and 4.10 gears, but it will break the 40's loose on pavement (going around a corner).

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

My brother runs a 396 in his 73 Camaro,
    a good carb would be something in the 650-750 range, anything beyond that is overkill. These motors have all the power he should ever need /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, my brother burns the tires through first and second gear and finally hooks up in third, with a th400 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Cooling can be an issue depending on how the motor is built and setup, otherwise its about as tough as they get.

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

My husband wants that crew cab. Or any crew cab. How many trucks do you have?!? Holy cow! I couldn't get through looking at them all last night. I'm jealous. Got any spare right front axle shafts for a Dana 44???

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a bad habit of keeping everything I get my hands on. There are 16 4x4's, one 2wd truck and 2 buses in the fleet. No, I'm not rich and I dont have money, I've just gotten a bunch of good deals and inherited a few of them from my dad. And those that cost over $1000 we paid for with the money we got from logging our place.

I have a bunch of drivers side axle shafts for a Dana 44, but only 1 for the right side, and I have to put that in my Suburban. Thats one disadvatage to having too many vehicles. They all demand parts and repairs, which is why only about 4 of the Fleet are actually driveable on the road right now.