Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs a '73,'74, or '75?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Nov 10, 2005.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'm about to purchase the top, 'A' post/windshield frame, doors and rollbar from a '75 to convert a later model. This truck will end up being a daily driver, year 'round in Canada. What are your opinions on the weather proof qualities of these years of trucks? Your opionions will determine whether I go through with the deal or not. Thanks guys. Jason.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I have a '75. The only real difference is the seal around the edges of the windows. The '73-'75 models don't seal up quite at tightly as the later models with a full door frame.

But it wouldn't keep me from having the early model! :cool1:

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

So do the windows leak? What about wind noise? Thanks for the response.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mine don't leak much water, but they do have more wind noise. The rubber weatherstrip around the glass gets damaged rather easily, especially at the lower rear edge, where the door meets it. That spot does leak, but only when wind is really driving the rain at it. Try to get one with good rubber seals, as they cost a mint to replace.

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

mine leaks bad, but it is heavily abused

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Most convertables or vehicles that don't have a window frame attached to a door leaks some..... Even when it's new (sister has a new one and it leaks at the car wash).... I need to replace all the seals on my '74... seals are shot.....

7. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ive got a 75. Like Hary said, the biggest issue is around the door glass. mine are all dry rotted. it still seals in a couple of spots but most of what is missing is on the rear edge. So not much leaks in from above, but does get blown in at speed. Never got me wet though. The header seal on mine don't leak a drop. I will get a drop on the floor where the top, header and door/window edge meet. Its not leaking around the header, but just over the door edge as the hing pins are worn and the door sags to the rear slightly.

I'm sure with all new rubber and a door hinge rebuild I could solve the little issues mine has.

I'd say the benefit of being able to take the whole top off out wieghs the slight amount of leak issues you might get. It can be fixed and is no worse than a half cab top leaking.

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Sounds good so far. I restored a '63 VW Microbus a few years back and put hinged safari windows in the front and it leaked miserably. Ruined a driving vacation. The ragtop sunroof wasn't perfect either. I don't want to deal with that crap again. Thanks for the info. Jason.

9. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't think you will have the same issue that you had with the micro bus. Outside of the issues noted, it is pretty well sealed up. Even in the winter it stays warm with the heater cranked. The full 'glass top doesn't seem to make a difference how cold it gets in there over night, but it doesn't take any more time for it to warm up.

Just make sure you do the a-piller/header swap right so everything fits like it should.

10. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

mine leaked at the windows..then i got new weatherstripping...but yeah it still leaked...so i just put some extra rubber and now it seals fine.

but i still think its better to run with the top off during the rain :rotfl:

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Great info guys! I'll complete the deal tomorrow! And I think the new Blazer on Sunday.

350/350/205, D44 posi, 14bff Detroit. The truck has dual batteries not sure how they are wired yet though, I'm sure I'll have to redo that, the tail gate had a new skin welded in.The floor was replaced with a heavy gage steel replacement panel, really well done actually. It includes an extra 4 speed standard tranny with NP 205 case(all clutch parts etc), extra fenders. front (44) and rear (12b)diffs, and doors.

The front lift was done with 4 inch lift springs, rear has 2 inch blocks and heavy springs. So that will go the way of a shackle flip.

The emergency brake needs a new cable. And the windshield needs replacing. Other than that mechanically it is fine...Not exactly what I was looking for but I need to make a move and this is the closest to what I want so far. Man it sure is depressing seeing what you guys in the southern states have to choose from compared to here in Canada! Oh well.

'78.jpg

'78ii.jpg

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Couldn't resist;

Still have the bus, ditched the girl. Look close to seal duct tape around the windshield frames :doah:

63 VW Microbus.JPG

13. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

that green blazer dosent look like a full top
    Ive got one same thing around the windows. if you arent worried about body alignment you can move the doors intoward the interior it will seal better but it makes it hard to put the window up when the doors are closed.

14. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have a 73 firewall on a 87 tub. It leaks like crazy!! But I should have expected that since I don't have any door glass or even a top!! :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :haha: :haha: :haha:

15. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

youll be glad U have a full top in the summer. I made a bikini top for mine .driving slow in the sun starts to burn.

16. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

i agree... it looks like a 76 to 78 blazer

are you buying that blazer and the convertable top from another vehicle and grafting the two together, or ?

17. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yep, you got it! ;)